Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pics for little help with Brisket

MississippiCoastEgg
MississippiCoastEgg Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 19 hours? Dome at 275

fork and themapen go in easily, I will twist the fork and let you know what it is like but his is my first Briskett so I don't exactly know what I am lookin for there:
let me try some pics:

_32U0806.jpg

_32U0811.jpg

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    When brisket is served, most want sliced pieces that are fork tender. Somewhere north of 180° this happens. It is as hard to tell you what to "feel" as it is for you on your first try :blink:
    You should see the two pieces separate and the ends get almost burnt. The fork should pull the "strands" apart with effort.
    When you pull it, tent it with foil for 15-20 mins before slicing..

from your central MS egger
    Kent Madison MS
  • Thanks BBQMaven, I checked with a fork and I thought that it was awful tender but still a little body which I thought was good. Temp then started shooting up so the plateau must have ended and it got right on up to the 190's pulled it at 195 and now it is wrapped in foil and resting until we eat. Thanks for your help I am afraid I would have pulled it too soon as it had been on so long and I was a little concerned.

I will take pics whenI slice it and then we will know if it is right I guess. :woohoo:
  • I had already cut the point off before cooking as I wanted to cook burnt ends next weekend so I will cook it then.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    your welcome!
    Just wish I'd had someone to help me.. I was winging the first year or so with BGE... just wish I'd know of all the good help here.

kent
    Kent Madison MS
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    It takes a little practice to feel it, but you can tell a lot with the tool you are using. The probe on your thermapen, while you are pushing it in and taking it out, can tell you a great deal by how it feels. But you have to pay attention. I bet it felt different in the 183 picture than the 170 picture.

Best way I can describe it....before it's done, the probe will be harder to pull out than it was to insert. When it feels equal on the in and the out, you're gettin somewhere.

Nice thing is, how ever this one turns out, the next one will prolly be better.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ