Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally - pizza success

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally found the perfect pizza solution for me.

Medium with large stone, spacers, then medium stone. Heated to 625 for an hour.

Did six pies, had good melt when the crust was done on all six. A little burnt where the pizzas overhung the stone, but very good overall.

Partial raws:

IMG_5479.jpg

Pepperoni, onion, and jalapeno

IMG_5480.jpg

Nice crust

IMG_5482.jpg

This one had green olives on half

IMG_5483.jpg

Perfect!

IMG_5484.jpg

Richard

Comments

• dude, spectacular, love the combination of toppings there, I never have tried that, will do next Sunday, thanks for the idea, Marc
  • Bash
    Options
    It really tasted good. I managed to stop at 5 pieces (12 inch pie). My goal is 3 pieces, but I overshot this time :woohoo:
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Wow...6 pies...impressive! Looks like you nailed it! What did you use for crust? Looks tasty.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    CON-GRATS!!!Pies look YUMMEE!
  • Bash
    Options
    My bride made the dough. She said it was from The Joy of Cooking. It did come out great. Much better than Publix or Trader Joe's dough.
  • Bash
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your next attempt!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it tonight!! I'm taking notes on this. I need help in the za area. :( Nice pics!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bash
    Options
    Yeah, me too.

Last few had been sub-par. These turned out great. Key for me is using a clean egg, and making sure the stone the pizza sits on is not exposed to direct heat. Even the medium stone overhangs the medium PS, and therefore got too hot and burnt the crust. Using the large stone as a heat shield, spacers, and then the medium stone, crust came out perfect. YMMV.

Richard
  • wattwizz
    Options
    I've been using my oven with a stone for years and have learned to bake a very good pizza. Tried my egg for the first time with a ps and stone. Heated the stone at 525 for about 45 minutes, slid my home made creation on and checked after about 10 minutes. Bottom was burnt and top was barely cooked. Are these spacers the answer? What are you using for spacers?
  • Lots of people use the green feet that came with your egg. I didn't have an extra set, so I bought some tile pieces (raised decorative tile used in edging), just something to raise the stone off the PS by an inch or so. If stone is directly on the PS, it will get too hot.
  • wattwizz
    Options
    Got it! Thanks for the help. I try it again.