Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another question

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Driving to work the other day I was thinking that I might try rubbing my brisket down with vinegar prior to seasoning. I don't know why I thought of this, as I've never known anyone to do it. However, I like the way vinegar works on foods, so I thought I'd look it up. Not surprisingly, I immediately found a Texas brisket recipe that called for doing this very thing. That settled it.[p]Has anyone ever done this? [p]Mike

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Not on brisket, but I do mop chicken with vinegar, a little salt & pepper and some crushed red pepper flakes. The wife & I love it.[p]Kelly

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I've never heard of rubbing with vinegar, but of course there's a great deal of information here about rubbing with mustard, in which vinegar is a major player. I've heard some dispute about long periods in acid being not that wonderful for texture, but I doubt you could do much harm to a brisket.[p]Let us know![p]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    davidm,
    I will....I've got a feeling about this.

• WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    Sometimes I lay sliced pickles (the sweet bread and butter? kind) on top of a Boston Butt before a cook. They turn black and I mix it in with the pulled pork. I'm not sure if it helps, but it is good.
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I have not used vinegar, but I have been experimenting with vinegar powder in my rub recipes lately. Still working-out the kinks on a new rib recipe, but I like the results. I prefer the balsamic and red-wine powders so far.[p]-Tom