Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

adding charcoal

Options
wattwizz
wattwizz Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking at lower temp (225) for long periods due I have to add more charcoal.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Nope,just fill the firebox up and the egg will go long enough to cook just about anything :)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    That my friend is the beauty of the Egg, it is very efficient! You can cook for over 18 hours on one load of lump...up into the fire ring.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Longest I have ever cooked on my large egg is about 15 hours at 250 (pork butt). Had about half the lump left.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    No..not if you start with enough in the first place..I have gone over 30 hours on one load...as I'm sure the other already said..
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    30 hours?! I did a 22 hour pork butt that took 2 loads. Am I doing something wrong? What's your secret?
  • WessB
    Options
    No secret.long as things are clean..and you got a load of NEW lump..and at least to the top of the fire box 30 hours should be no problem..
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ahh to make sure you go long, use a dome temp of 250 and not 225
  • WessB
    Options
    Well appreciate yor input...thanks for the reply....unless you were using that new invisible ink...WTF
  • toothpick
    Options
    So what dome temp is most efficient for a long cook? Is 250 the hookup?
  • toothpick
    Options
    So I'm relatively new to Eggin, Wess. The two times I've done pork butts, the coals are spent after about 18 hours.

Do you have a favorite brand of lump?

What temp do you keep the dome?

You mention filling to the top of the fire box. That's the bowl part, right? You're not filling to the top of the fire ring--or are you?

I'd read on Naked Whiz about putting the coals together very carefully to maximize airflow between coals. Are you doing that, or just pouring the lump in there? I'm wondering if I'm creating too much airflow and causing them to burn out too quickly. . .

Thanks!
  • WessB
    Options
    I use almost only BGE lump..which is Royal Oak...dome temp is roughly 250° I preffer to go by grid temp because I have a remote thermometer that lets me monitor that..withou the gris thermometer I would try to maintain 250 dome....I do not fill to the top of the fire ring...others do, and there'r nothing wrong with doing that if yo uwant to....and for the most part I do just dump it in, I don't sort or seperate the lump...used lump burns cooler and faster than new lump so the more new stuff in the firebox the better...If you need any other help feel free to e mail me a phone number and I'll be more than happy to call ya....
  • toothpick
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the help, Wess. Getting me jazzed to do another butt soon with ONE load. Cool. Thanks again.