Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another FAILURE! LOT-O-PICS

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Great lookin pie. The only thing that comes to mind as far as causing a bitter or off taste is the lump, as that is all that is involved. Could be there was a piece of some off the wall substance that was in the bag and ended up in the fire. Rocks and odd objects have been known to make their way into the lump due to the nature of the production process. Don't give up, try er again with a fresh load of lump and see if the problem can be replicated. Then you may want to get a hold of that phone number, but not yet. :)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Hoss:

You're scaring me Buddy.

I'm attempting my first semi-scratch pizza tonight. However, I'm trying a J.C. Fornaio frozen pizza dough

We'll see how it goes.

Sorry for the failure. They sure look good.

Mike
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I think I got it figured out.99% of my cooks are lo n slo.I had a lot of buildup in the egg and when it got to 500 that gunk started burnin off and gave the za that funky taste.I did a clean burn.We'll see if that makes a difference.Thanks.
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks!
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    Thanks.Make sure you start with a CLEAN egg! ;)
  • willrev
    willrev Posts: 80
    Options
    You used packaged dough. Hydration of dough was too low. Never used a pre-mix dough. I just did my first pizzas and they were awesome. I used Peter Reinhart recipe from the Bread Baker's Apprentice book. Use King Arthur All Purpose or K.A. Bread Flour. I do not use Rapid Rize yeast I only use Saf Instant Yeast. It is much higher quality. Let me know if want the recipe. I will be glad to email.