Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
should the dough be room temp or cold before baking?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    All I have ever done has been room temp..but I certainly don't consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to breads and doughs..although I am very happy with my pizza doughs Thanks to Zippylip..
  • i find i cannot roll it out if it is cold and most of the pizza joits i have been to have the dough sitting out in those aluminum pans..
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Exactly...it wont rise cold...but I make mine to use the same day..only rarely make it to use at a later date..
  • I think that if you put it on the stone cold, it wouldn't have time to bake before the toppings were done.

I always make my dough to be ready just before putting the pizza on the Egg, so obviously, it is room temperature.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Always room temp. You can't stretch it out or toss it if it's cold. As soon as you stretch it, it shrinks again.

'Course, I can't toss it no matter how warm it is. :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    A cold dough will retard rising. The biggest thing with cold dough is that it will bubble up when cooking and spread the toppings. Most pizzerias have a metal bubble popper. Actually the best dough is a slow 24 -48 hour low yeast rise in a cooler. Allows the yeast time to give that great flavor. There is a site with all kind of pizza info and recipes called www.PMQ.com and click on the Think Tank and the Recipe Bank..These guys mainly are operating pizza shops and have some great info. another great site for recipies and troubleshooting is /www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/_home_encyclopizza.htm
    I have some dough getting ready to go on the egg..Saturday is Pizza night goes good with football
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Room temp. If it's refrigerated pull it out couple of hours prior to cooking.
  • I take it out of the fridge 30-min. before I make the pie

Ross