Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steam injection

NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hit upon this question in this thread

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=800706&catid=1

Regarding the upcoming bread making class at Fred's

Fearing the question might have gotten lost in the amount of traffic, I figured I'd post it as its own topic.

The OP talks about steam injection into the BGE, that got my attention. Anyone ever heard about this? Anyone ever done this or know how it is done?

I assume we are talking about more than a container of water inside the BGE (like on the platesetter)

nooBBQ,

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    to get the crust more crusty chewy you only need the steam in the beginning of the cook. ive done this with a pizza stone set high in the dome and a paella pan as the inderect barier, no platesetter. get it all up to temp, say 500/550 for a boule, the empty pealla gets really hot especially if you leave the dome open that extra minute, toss in a half cup of water when the dough goes on the stone and shut the dome, instant steam that lasts a few minutes. wear gloves, steam burns are bad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've cooked breads in a cast iron dutch oven with the lid on for about 1/2 the baking time. This works best with bread dough that has more moisture than regular oven cooking. The steam formed when the bread starts to bake is sealed in the dutch oven and helps to form a great crust. Then, you uncover it for the end of the baking time to brown it up nice.

This works great with recipes like the NY Times no-knead bread recipe.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA