Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't own an EGG, But.......

Options
RonW.
RonW. Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't own an BGEgg, but have a friend that is trying to learn how to cook low n slow on one. I'm looking for pictures of the plate setter set-up.

Thanks in advance,

UnYawn....

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Don't have a photo, but it is pretty simple. Fill lump into the fire ring, platesetter on top of fire ring legs up, cooking grid on top of platesetter.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Also, put some type of drip pan underneath the grid on top of the platesetter. You can even make a drip pan out of aluminum foil if you need.

IMG_0640.jpg
  • RonW.
    RonW. Posts: 22
    Options
    If you fill the fire ring up, then put the plate setter in with the legs up, how much space is left in-between the platesetter and the burning lump. Also how do you remove the hot platesetter to add lump on a long cook?

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Unyawn....
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you will not have to add charcoal.. on my large i have gone 24 plus hours without having to reload charcoal

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Smoking Coles
    Options
    I usually leave at least two or so inches from the top of the lump to the bottom of the plate setter when I'm setting up for long burns. That being said, I have heard that some people will actually fill the lump a little above the fire ring and sit the PS directly on top of the lump. When the lump burns down, the plate setter comes to rest on the fire ring. If you fill up the fire box and fire ring, there shouldn't be any reason you should have to add lump to your cook.

If you have to remove a hot plate setter, you can use welding gloves, Orca mitts (Silicon mitts), a couple pair of pot holders or I have done it with two big pairs of channel locks.