Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Romaine--enlighten me please??????

BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen pics and post of people grilling romaine lettuce on their eggs--someone please enlighten me?!?!

Why do you grill it? Do you add salad dressing afterwards? Is it like a hot spinach bacon salad?

Am I missing something here? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Slice lettuce head in half lengthwise, brush or pour a little salad dressing on, both Italian and Caesar work well. Then onto the grill while whatever meat just came off is resting. Just cook for 3 or 4 minutes.

Kinda like warm spinach salad.

Doug
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You are missing a very eggcelent salad.

Salad, Romaine, Grilled

A perfect appetizer for anything off the Big Green Egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Romaine Hearts
    Olive oil
    Parmesian Cheese
    Salt & Pepper

********Preparation Directions*********
    1 Cut the Romaine Hearts down the middle. Pull off any loose external leaves. You want a small tight bunch. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh parmesian cheese. Push some cheese into the folds of the leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and whatever spices you like. Put into the fridge to keep these nice and cold. Take out at the last minute.
    ********Cooking Directions********
    1 After grilling your meat, steak, etc., crank up the heat and flames in your Green Egg. Put the Romaine Hearts face up on the grill for 2 minutes, then flip over for a few minutes. It will make your grill a bit messy, so leave the heat up to burn off that cheese.
    2 Serve immediately. I don't add any extra dressing, but a bit of Italian or Remolaude dressing is nice. Enjoy!

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Patrick Weldon, 2006/02/12
  • It's great. You don't cook the lettuce to mush. Just grill it to give it some flavor and warmth. I serve it with a mustard/balsamic dressing:

Grilled Romaine and Savoy Cabagge
    The Naked Whiz
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Thanks for the responses. Will have to give it a try next time I fire up the egg.