Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening charcoal bags

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used to have a link to a page that had a tutorial for defeating the stitching on charcoal bags.
Does anyone have that link?

Joe

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    BrewandQue,

Too funny! Just get a good sharp knife and use the stiching as a guide.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Are you kidding? A tutourial???
    I grab the scissors. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    that is why it looks like a dotted line right??
  • Easy.

Tie the end of a long rope to either end of the stitching.

Climb the stairs (or take elevator) to a fairly tall building in your community (at least 4 stories tall.)

Secure the other end of the rope to a stationary object on the roof (like a flagpole).

Toss the charcoal bag over the side of the building.

If the building is tall enough, the charcoal bag will reach it's terminal velocity before reaching the length of the rope.

The sudden stopping of the bag from the taut rope will rip the stitching from the bag.

Long and short: Use your brains and let nature do the work for you. B)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 50/50 shot, pull the string, if no workie the back up plan = scissors :P
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    I have seen instructions for opening bags that are stiched closed, and the bird seed bags I buy open easily by opening the right way. I am convinced, however, that the Royal Oak lump that I buy cannot be opened by pulling any of the threads, so I just rip it open.
  • I whack a hole in the top of the bag with the ash tool then rip the corner of the bag off like an animal would rip off a limb, works every time
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    works like a charm for me most of the time, lump bag, potato bag, rice bag, ...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=590975&catid=1
    canuckland
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    If you are using the words "defeating the stitching" I don't think that getting to the lump is your problem. LOL.
    Seriously, all of the above ideas or a utility/razor knife will work.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I try twice then it's scissor' too. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No, he's not kidding. For something that works so well when done correctly, it is so frustrating when it is not. I keep an X-acto knife handy, but when it's time to open a new bag, even that is such a pain that I am tempted to cook in the oven!

Judging from the number of responses to the egg forum link Canugghead provided below, I am not alone! Hope I can remember those pics next time. :)

:P

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    With royal oak bags set the bag upright so the rear of the bag is facing you. Cut the knot on the left side of the bag and pull the loose strings after you cut that knot. (On occasion you can pull a string without having to cut it). One of the strings will pull free across the top of the bag and the top seal strip will come away clean.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    First off, boys, EVERYONE should always have a good pocket knife in their pockets!! Duh! ;)

BUT, I remember working in a feed store as a kid, and seeing my girlfriends dad (that's why I worked there...) be able to open up those stitched bags in quicker then a knife, somehow undoing that stitching.
    I always meant to learn that trick!
    The girl got away, too.. :(
  •  
    Good job Fidel, thats about all there is to it, 9 times out of 10. If it doesn't work turn the bag around and try again. It's a simple chain stitch not a Chinese finger trap or pre-calculus. :laugh:

Gator

• Very true, Rick. I used to always keep my Myerchin B300 Folding Rigging knife in my pocket, but at 9 ounces, it had a tendency to tear up my clothes after a while.

shapeimage_10.png

Just recently picked up this Long's Peak 14K CKRT folder for $22 from steepandcheap.com.

bc5b6ff4.jpg

It's a bunch lighter and is pretty handy. Onthe other hand, I had seen the handy unzip trick and did it a few times, but just forgot which leads to pull. I had to resort to the knife this time to get the fire going for some Lamb Racks and Lobster tails.

It was fun to spark the discussion, though.

Joe