Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What way do you think is the best ways to cook a prime rib roast with bone-in? Thank you for any help, Chad

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chad,
    i do them indrect over foil covered plate setter. . .[p]i rub the roast with kosher salt and herbs de provence and when i have it, fresh rosemary. . .[p]i get the egg up to 500 degrees, put the roast on bones down, then immediately tighten up the vents to get to 325 - 350 dome temp (this allows for a quick sear and then a slow roast). ...then let roast till done (about 15 minutes per pound for medium rare). ..you want to pull it when the internal temp gets to about 125 as it will continue to rise for 15 - 20 minutes while resting prior to carving. .. .following are some pics from a nice 4 bone in i did at christmas time. . .. [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=2e88dbc0-3a40-29b2-5b71-7df111e771de&size=lg
    [p]here it is with the herbs and rosemary (i peeled back the fat cap and laid the rosemary on the meat, then pulled the fat back over it, but this isn't required)[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=785a5857-5e36-14d5-4764-2df14904445e&size=lg
    [p]and here it is sliced. . ..[p]its a very tolerant piece of meat. .you can coat them with garlic. . pepper. ..rubs, whatever suits your taste. . just don't over cook it. . .

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Chad,
    Helps if you have two eggs, but can be done with one.[p]Sear all sides at 500-700 for 2 minutes each. Remove from grill, lower temp to 400 and cook till done.[p]I only season with salt pepper and rub some garlic over it[p]Good meal

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Chad,
    I did a 7 1/2 Pound prime rib for Valentine's day and cooked it at 325* indirect until an internal temp of 125* (about 15 mins per lb) and let rest for 20 minutes before carving the bones away and slicing. I dusted the top with garlic powder, onion powder and fresh ground sea salt & ground pepper. Don't have fancy pix like Mad Max, but my 76 year old German father in law who is a retired chef said it was the best he ever had. SO... my suggestion is to keep it simple with any seasonings and enjoy the flavor of the meat!!! Joe[p]PS: If I were to do it in the oven (which I'll never do again) I probably would do a higher temp first 15-30 mins and then bring down to 325* - not sure why I didn't do it in the bge same way, but it sure turned out mighty fine.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wardster,
    i agree about the two egg method. .in fact that's what i usually do, only i don't turn it. . .i simply put it in my small for 15 minutes direct at 500 degrees (i think the bones serve as their own 'plate setter'), then in to the large at 325 indirect. .. .i gave the advise i gave not know if he has more than one egg or not. . .the one egg method (starting at 500 and then immediately going down) serves the same purpose.. .[p]great eating either way. . ..

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]That's pretty much how I do them. I like to rub them with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and put some slivers of garlic inside the roast. I don't think searing is necessary - a crust will form regardless.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    prime2.jpg
    <p />Chad,[p]Here's how I do mine.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I use the 2 Egg Method as well. Sear first on Mini, then transfer to the Medium which is already settled at temperature and smokin'. Works like a charm.[p]TRex
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Chad. I get my prime rib to room temp. Then I coat with Kosher salt, whole pepper corns and juniper berries. The salt, pepper corns and juniper berries are fine ground with a motar and pestal. I apply rather heavy and sear on all sides then cook indirect @ 325° until done for my liking. I have used apple, and plum wood with good results. All the folks I have fed this too claim its the best prime rib they ever had. But then again, most of my friends are free loaders, mooches or have bumped their heads.[p]remove XXX to reply via email
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    TRex,[p]Very nice! You're gonna have to show off your skills at the Texas Eggfest![p]Cheers,[p]Ed
    [ul][li]Texas Eggfest 2004 Website[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I've got that Saturday blocked off on my calendar. Planning on making it this year. Thanks again for doing all this planning and coordination.[p]TRex
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    TRex,[p]Great! You up for a TRex Workshop on Saturday? I'd like to add you to the schedule I'm working on.[p]Please head on out to the registraion page on the website.[p]See ya in May![p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Sure - maybe in the afternoon . . . not sure if I'll be driving over Friday night or early Saturday morning.[p]Do you have a favorite local butcher who will cut fresh prime beef?[p]TRex