Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Creuset Enameled CI Dutch Oven

UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used these in a L BGE? If I ruin my gal's D.O., I will be up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes people use them all the time in the BGE...they clean up easily.
  • Given the price tag on those suckers, I was pretty nervous the first time I used mine in the egg, even despite the assurances from the folks here on the forum. But it came out in the same condition it went into the egg (albeit, with much more delicious contents).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    i use mine, but its mine. you chip her pot and your in trouble :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Keep an eye on Marshalls or TJ Maxx or other discount type store and pick up your own Le Creuset (may get lucky and find one missing a lid and get a real good price). You do not need a lid with the egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    All the time.

Cleans right up with a little soft scrub.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rod,

Depends what somebody cooks in it :whistle::blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Yea, I should add "in most instances"

I should get mine back from the sandblaster next week.
  • UKBradC
    Have you used it frequently? I am a big fan of stews and chili this time of year, so it will get a lot of use. If this will have adverse effects on the Le Creuset, I'd rather just buy the BGE one.
  • Not very frequently, not yet, just a couple times. I'm not one who cooks EVERYTHING on the egg, just because I can. Some things are just as good in the oven or on the stove. BUT, the chili I made on the egg was the best I've ever had. Nice and smokey.
    http://we3hardings.blogspot.com/2009/10/pot-of-chili-loaf-of-bread-and-thou.html

I'm about to make a batch of gumbo, and am thinking about whether I want to do it on the egg, or not. It's pretty cold and snowy outside right now.

But if you think about it. If you cook on the stove, the bottom of your DO is heated by flame (assuming you're using gas). Why should it matter whether it's natural gas flame, or heat from charcoal? It's still intense heat. Similarly, in the oven or in the egg, 350 degrees is 350 degrees, regardless of the fuel. You might have a little soot to clean off, cooking in the egg...but not much, and mine wiped off with a soapy rag. The enamel can take the heat.
  • Oh, one thing, though. I nearly forgot...I did wind up having a little problem with the handle on the lid. I cooked my chili with the lid on for an hour or two, and after checking the chili at one point, I noticed some brown liquid leaking out around the screw that holds the handle on. I'm not sure if it was just gunk that had built up because I had never taken the handle off and cleaned inside there, or what. I would think LC would use a plastic that can hold up to oven temps, and I've never had that problem before, but just to be safe, I unscrewed the handle for the rest of that cook, and use it without the handle whenever I use it in the egg. I never did ask on the forum whether others have that same problem.
  • UKBradC
    Gotcha. Discoloration of the enamel was a big concern. Thanks for the info

I found a gumbo recipe on Allrecipes.com that I use a lot and people rave at. I don't have a link, bc I saved it as a word doc, but the recipe is below:

Gumbo

Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 2 Hours
    Yields: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - chopped
    1/2 pound pork sausage links, thinly sliced
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    3 quarts chicken broth
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    6 stalks celery, diced
    4 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
    1 sweet onion, sliced
    1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh red chile peppers
    1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
    1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
    1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Drain chicken and sausage, and set aside.

2. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.

3. Gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, and mix in celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, red chile peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.

4. Mix chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    If you will be using the lid you should know that the according to Le Creuset the phenolic knobs and handles are oven safe to 375°F / 190°C. Cast Iron handles and stainless steel knobs can be used at any oven temperature and under the broiler.

I replaced the phenolic lid knob with the stainless steel one on, on one of my Le Creuset dutch ovens, you can buy them on Amazon.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Golasso
    Golasso Posts: 20
    I got a Tramontina enamel CI DO from my MiL -- cooks illustrated says it is almost as good for a lot less $$$$. You can get a 6 qt on from walmart.com for around $60.
  • LC sells stainless steel replacement handles, if you want to swap the plastic for something that can take heat above 500 degrees.
  • I don't recall the exact temp, but I think that for the time period where I had the lid on, I was holding around 300-350 degrees, indirect. But the stainless handle sounds like a good idea. I wasn't arware LC sold them. Many thanks.
  • Good to know. On a less snowy day, I'll have to make a little trip to the nearby LC outlet (lucky me!) to see if they carry the stainless handles. Thanks!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    They come in 2 sizes, get the bigger one for dutch oven lids. Although both will fit, the larger one is better proportioned for the larger lids and will be easier to grip. The only drawback is it gets hot even on the stove now so I have to remember to use a hot mitt all the time now on that pan.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • It seems like less expensive enameled alternatives to LC are becoming more popular. I hadn't heard that Tramontina sold them, but I know that Lodge does, and Cooks Illustrated recommended the Mario Batali line as a high-quality cheaper alternative to LC.

I got my two LC DOs a few years ago, only a few months before I heard that Lodge had a line of them. When I researched DOs before buying mine, I didn't see any enameled alternatives to LC. Now it seems they're everywhere.
  • I use my LC all the time on the BGE. You'll find the enameled cast iron roasting pans or gratin dishes especially useful. I like the oval ovens, as they fit nicely into the curved side spaces of my Large, leaving a nice spot in the middle for direct grilling. (ETA) I like to run the LC through the dishwasher, which is an easy way to get rid of the external soot buildup. Some pics of LC in use...
    Roasted sweet potatoes, onions, and garlic cooked in a tarte tatin pan--
    pc221016.jpg
    More roasted potatoes--
    pb220889.jpg
  • Beware cheap imitations...many are made in China. I'm wary of brightly-colored Chinese imports; who knows if they contain lead. The country's safety record isn't exactly stellar. Part of the LC price tag is the lifetime guarantee; if the pan fails, they'll replace it.
  • Fidel
    That is one of those artificially low safety points. I have had my lid with know in the egg at 550&deg or so for an hour with no ill effects.

If you are uncomfortable it is real easy to take off the knob, one screw. It isn't often I use the lid in any case.
  • Fidel
    I agree on the ovals...my 6.5q oval is my favorite. If only I could get all the Indian food out of it that Steven baked in there at Eggtoberfest.

I never thought to run LC through the washer. Good idea. I have a small saucier and a risotto pan that I use quite a bit as well.
  • When all else fails, scrub your enameled cast iron with Barkeeper's Friend. Sold at most stores, on the cleaning supplies aisle, in a round shaker can (like Comet or Bon Ami). It is mildly abrasive, contains some oxalic acid, and it will get tumeric stains out of the enamel with a minimal amount of elbow grease.
    [/url]http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/[url][/url]
  • Fidel
    I use soft scrub on mine and it works great. The only places that are difficult are the handles. Otherwise they come out looking like new.