Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something New - Beef Ribs With Pomegranate Glaze

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I've been wanting to make these for a while, but haven't been able to find beef ribs on a day when I've had time to make them. Finally tried them last week, and they came out pretty good, though the sauce burned a bit at the end when I stupidly got distracted. Guess I need to make them again. :)

Full writeup of the cook is posted on our blog at: http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2010/01/recipe-smoked-beef-ribs-with-pomegranate-glaze-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Sorry about the crappy picture - my hands were covered in sauce, and I asked my friend to take the pics. Not sure what she was aiming at. This was the best one.

6a00e5502e1c018834012876a10433970c-800wi

To make these, I started with 4 large racks of beef ribs. I removed the membrane, coated lightly with olive oil, and used a rub that I found at amazingribs.com, which called for 3 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons mustard powder, and 2 teaspoons garlic powder. I cooked them indirect at 250 dome, with hickory smoke. I sprayed them once per hour with pomegranate juice.

6a00e5502e1c018834012876a10511970c-800wi

While the ribs were cooking, I made up the sauce, which I found on a site called www.tasteoftheseacost.com. Take 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground chipotle peppers, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, 1 1/2 cup finely diced onion, 2 cups catsup, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses, 1/4 cup whole grain mustard, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and cook at medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours.

When the ribs started to recede from the bone and the meat seemed tender, which happened after about 5.5 hours, I pulled the ribs out of the Egg, brushed with sauce, and put back in for about 45 minutes.

I really liked the combination of this sauce with the taste of the ribs. As I said, I accidently burned the sauce while the ribs were cooking, but my guests barely noticed, and just spooned some more on at the table.

Enjoy!

-John

Comments