Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing brisket or butts prior to cooking

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who has a restaurant depot membership and I've gone with him a few times. The meat selection is great, and I've been asked to cook some pulled pork for a party this Saturday night so I'm going to meet up with him Wed or Thurs to get the butts there, and whatever else happens to hop into my cart. I've been itching to cook a brisket and like the selection at RD, have the most to choose from versus any other place I've seen. Anyway, I won't have time (or appetite) to cook both the butts and the brisket this weekend, too much going on. Wondering what people think of freezing the butts or brisket, defrosting and then cooking later on?

I've never really cooked either until I've gotten my egg about a year ago, so I don't have any experience with these cuts of meat freezing prior to cooking.

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Freezing works just fine, IMHO!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I buy butts en masse when they are on sale.Freeze em,cook later.Never had a problem.I do remove them from the original packing and wrap in plastic wrap and butchers paper unless they are cryovaced,then I just toss em in the freezer.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I keep several briskets in the freezer all the time. The pork butts don't last that long. I think if I was going to do one or the other, I would freeze the beef first. Seems to last longer than pork. Just MHO.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Glousteau....Please don't freeze...the texture is never the same! You can pick up the brisket, and just keep it vac-packed and refrigerated until the next weekend, or the next, or the next. It will be just fine! It is my opinion that something happens to the protein strands when frozen, that is never recovered in the cook. Buy your brisket, and just keep it well chilled till you cook it.
  • BlueOvalBruin
    Options
    I've never had good luck with frozen pork, but beef is fine if it's frozen properly. I've tried frozen ribs and butts and they never turn out as good as fresh for some reason.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    I have won competitions with frozen brisket. I have never done frozen shoulder though. I'm about to go to RD also and will be freezing some soon.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have two 10 pounders in my freezer now - one brisket and one butt. I've never frozen either before. If I had read LC's post before I froze them, I might not have. Too late now - we'll see how they turn out. With the brisket though, I won't know if it was awful because I froze it... or because I've never cooked one before and have NO idea what I'm doing! :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut