Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green egg and Ham #2

Options
Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all
I have been searching for a cured but not cooked ham per Charwoody's suggestion.I live around cleveland and every where I ask they shrug thier shoulders and say What????
I want to do this smoked ham for Easter dinner.
Any thougts?
You think Westside Market would have em??
Mully

Comments

• Mully,
    My thoughts are: why waste what you bought the BGE to do and that is smoke your ham yourself...If you buy it already smoked and its good, you shouldn't need to cook it in the BGE. My advise would be to buy a whole ham and have it de-boned and tied and brine it , then use your BGE to give it your flavors...I just don't think you'll like that artificial dye and liquid smoke flavor in the other ones.

• Mully
    Options
    Chet,
    Im cunfused
    i was told brining your own ham takes 3-4 wks
    I was then instructed to get an uncooked cured ham and smoke it on the bge to get a good flavor!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Mully, the last one i did was called a hickory smoked ham shank. it was "partially cooked", maybe from the smoking. unless you really like the taste of salt, i would suggest placing it in cold water in the fridge, and changing the water every few hours for 20 plus hours. then brine in a sugar solution for 20 more hours before cooking. no salt in your rub. this is from somone that is thinking of smoking salt, just to put on eggs.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mully
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Hey sounds great
    How did it come out?
    Do you have any particulars for me.
    Ham size
    Was it a warm and eat job?
    What did you soak it in?? Sugar? whats The recipe??
    How long at what temp?
    Thanks Bud!
    mully

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Mully,
    if you start with a cured ham, the first thing to do is to soak out the salt. 20 hours with regular changing of fresh water.i almost never follow recipes, but 20 more hours soaked in a sugar water. brown sugar, honey, maple sugar, turbinado raw sugar etc. i cook inderect as high in the dome as possible at 220 F until the platuea has passed and then raise the temp pass 300 F and pull when the meat becomes soft and spongy( 190-205).when the meat gets soft pull it out and wrap in tinfoil and towell and rest a good hour. this double smoked pulled ham is something that most people have never seen. it goes well with a mustard sweet sauce. mustard, lots of the same ingrediants from above, simmered for hours until you like the taste. serve on the side so guests can put on like a gravey.
    cured hams will come out differently every time. always try and find one with the bone in, and take notes on the company that cured it. some companies cure with to much salt so it is experimental until you find one you like. the last one i did was 8 pounds and took about 18 hours

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it