Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Old Classics

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday, while at the West Side Market, my sons indicated that they would like ribs so I grabbed a nice meaty rack of Spares. Also, the stand next the pork vendor had some outstanding Rib Eye steaks, so two of those came home with us.[p]When I got home I slathered the ribs with some mustard and applied some JJ’s Rub. I put the ribs on the Small BGE with a chunk of Pecan from JJ’s backyard. I let the ribs sit there for the better part of six hours at 250. When I took the ribs off, I put on two small chicken breasts coated with Amazing Cajun Char Crust. To accompany this feast, I made a batch of Southern-Style Cole Slaw and some sweet tea.[p]The steaks waited until Sunday. I coated them with Hickory Molasses Char Crust and grilled them. We rounded out the meal with some fresh asparagus and some sautéed shallots and cremini mushrooms.[p]What did everyone else cook this weekend?
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]We did ribs on Saturday also, and then on Sunday, did this gorgeous maple brined turkey...[p]maple-brined-turkey.jpg[p]Turned out to be a gorgeous weekend here![p]Tonia
    :~)

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Just a light cook on Saturday of 12 boneless chicken breasts (brined, then dusted with various DP rubs), 10 bratwurst and 3 cajun spiced zeilbasa. All of this followed by ABTs (about 40) using a variety of stuffings (pepperoni or chicken or shrimp or ham for the meats and mozzerella or gouda or goat cheese or cream cheese for the cheese) just depended on the mood as I was assembling them.[p]Sunday was a day of rest and good eating of what was cooked the day before![p]Have a GREAT day![p]Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Tonia,
    You Son of a gun. You have got to be doctoring up them photos. They look too good to be true. LOL.
    That's one tasty, good looking bird you cooked up.
    Thanks for sharing the pic.
    Turkey day can be any day, not just the Holidays.
    Thanks for sharing the pic.
    Bob

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Painter,[p]No doctoring, I swear! That thing turned out such a pretty golden brown and tasted INCREDIBLE! I may just have to volunteer for the holiday bird this year, 'cause there's no way I can eat another dry, overcooked one ever again now that I've discovered the magic of brine and the BGE![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Mully
    Mully Posts: 30
    Options
    I cooked up 2 slabs of Baby Backs with 2 different marinades and finishing sauces.They were awesome!!
    hoysan (sp)and Maypoy sp
    Yummmy
    Mully[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    QBabe,
    I usually volunteer also. I can't stand sitting around watching some one screw up a turkey cook. You know the ones that cook it for hours on end just to make sure it's done.
    Can you say DRY. And then there are those that cook it the day before and reheat.
    Man that really drives me up the wall. Most of the side dishes work better reheated than the main course. Can't convince them otherwise, and I have to bite my tongue if someone else is the host. Leftovers, cold, for sandwiches is another thing though. Pretty good eating.
    Bob

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Sounds great! I did two 8 lb butts over a 7 lb brisket and WOW!!! Also did some creamed corn, burbon baked beans and a light/creamy slaw with jalapenos. The Mrs prepared all the sides. It was my mother in law's 70 B-Day party. Family came in from everywhere and were wowed by the Smokin Joe Q-Fest.[p]I have a little pork left over and plan to do some chile relenos (can't spell it) using the smoked pork, shreded maxican 4 cheese blend mixed with Rotel stuffed inside poblano peppers and on the egg with some hickory & mesquite for smoke until the peppers are charred. Can't wait until tomorrow night to do this. [p]Have a good week 'yall! Joe