Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good results turnede bad?

Options
alternity
alternity Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a 3 pound bonless pork roast that was tied in butchers twine consisting of 2 or 3 cuts it appeared. I made a custom rub and added slivers of minced Garlic, Ginger , and apple chunks. Let it sit overnight in the Refrige and smoked it at 250-300 over cherry and one chunk of apple. Although I overshot the final temp a little 160*, it was perfect and moist. My only problem ..after haveing a small portion for dinner , I accidently left it well wraped it with tinfoil in a glass dish in the Microwave to let cool. Woke up early and placed it in the Refridge....Have I caused the meat to be rancid or dangeriously close to being spoiled? Id imagine the smoke cooking would deteer bacterial growth- even for 11 hours. Besides what did our ancestors do before they had refridges.? Thanks in advance for any feedback..[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    alternity,
    If you do get sick, it will help build your immune system so you could do the same thing next time, and not get sick![p]Seriously, I think a lot of folks would try and shy you away from eating it. Yet most people could probably eat it and not get sick.[p]Not sure if that helps.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    alternity,[p]What was the temp in your house overnight? if on the cool side, you might be ok for a while. I'd use the visual and smell test - if you see a bunch of round whitish spots on it - it's growing bacterial colonies like crazy - dump it. If it smells the least bit tainted - dump it. Take a very small bite and see if you detect any off flavors - if so, dump it. If it passes these tests, eat it up in a hurry and to be sure, reheat it back up to 160F to deter any new growth and kill off anything that might be getting going. It's not rancid - that's oxidation of oils and fat.[p]Our ancestors ate a lot of tainted meat. They also got sick a lot. The rich had ice houses, they dried it, they salted it, and they pickled it to preserve it. The poor had little meat anyway and got used to eating rotted meat when they could get it. 18th century cookbooks have detailed recipes for how to use tainted meat - essentially you boil the hell out of it to kill the bacteria, then add some strong tasting spices or other things to cover up the bad taste. Really sounds revolting and it would only work for meat not contaminated with toxins - just live bacteria. Makes you appreciate refrigerators.[p]Mary
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Oh heck. I've done that a million times. Unless your house was pretty hot, you're probably ok for a day or so. You don't have a real long shelf-life even in the refrigerator. In the old days, I guess everyone died young anyway, so what's the diff if it was from a wild boar or a cooked one?
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    alternity,[p]I can speak from experience in college that I've never gotten sick waking up on the couch with a horrendous hangover and eating a few slices of pizza that never made it out from the box on the floor all night long.[p]Thank goodness I've outgrown those habits, now. =)
  • Unknown
    Options
    I did this..took Charwoodys advice via email. Such a pretty 2 pounds of expertise in cooking I unwraped and gave a sniff..sweet and fresh as can be :).
    I then wraped it in foil and placed in a ziplock storage bag with air drawn out and placed in freezer.

You see I have been fortunate enough to overlook a beautiful l lake house that belongs to my family all winter long..now with the sweetness of sprig I must leave. It's all been very nice and bittersweet-but the people useing this house during the summer to water-ski and vacation will find many good treats in that freezer; people that thing BBQ is a new Burger King or Wendys burger. And besides I emember one night when the weather was even cooler I left a Tuna Steak out all night after falling asleep - and it was just fine.
    ..peace out all

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    alternity,[p]Relax, eat and enjoy..[p]It's not a problem.
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    alt_paranoid,[p]Ummm, that's probably the least safe thing you could do. Pathogentic bacteria are not killed by freezing. They generally just go to sleep. You'd be better off heating back up to a safe temperature (160F should do it), cooling and freezing then. [p]Mary