Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Help

Reeltachy
Reeltachy Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started an 8# boston butt yesterday. It finished a little early on me (about 9am today). It has rested in a cooler for almost 5 hours and I was getting nervous. I went ahead and pulled it since we are not eating till 6pm.
My question is, what is a good way to reheat pulled pork? I've heard of simpley putting in low heat oven for a few minutes or microwaving. To the more complex ones like putting them in plastic bags with bbq sauce or coke and then placing bags in warm/boiling water.
Anybody with first hand experince and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I am of the opinion it should be rewarmed dry, in the oven or even stovetop in covered pan. When sauce, soda, or other fluid is used, the pork absorbs it. The end result is a spongie piece of meat that taste like whatever liquid it was warmed in. When you go to a good BBQ restaurant you arent served something that was heated in soda or sauce, so dont do it at home. Sauce is for adding to the meat when on the plate..IMO. :)
  • The best way to reheat ribs, pulled pork...or, just about anything for that matter is in a foodvac bag. This really works good when you freeze meal size portions and then want to serve them at a later date.....but you have to have a food vac. Just take the portion you want to reheat, put it in a food vac plastic bag, and go through the sealing process. When you are ready to reheat it put it in near boiling water until hot. It will be just like it came off the egg. Other methods of reheating tend to dry the meat out a bit which leaves it tasting like it would have come off any ol' grill.

Good luck!

HH
  • Thx, I do have a Vac system and that makes good sense.
  • I'm with you on the liquid absorption thing. It jsut dosen't make sense. Unless you want pork to taste like coke?!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Well the coke thing IS popular around here.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I'm pretty new at this but since I usually cook shoulders the day before I plan to serve them, I pull and cool the meat over night, then put it in a crockpot several hours prior to serving and add a small amountof a mixture of apple cider/brown sugar,cider vinegar/worchester sauce/garlic, and turn the pot on low. Keeps the meat nice and moist and enhances the pork flavor without changing it. I set out two or three kinds of commercial sauce so folks can add what they like.
    This won't suit everyone, but it works for me. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL