Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

removing the lid

volntitan
volntitan Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a Large Egg with the long table of Xmas. I am a COMPLETE newbie and not a handy man by any means. I am going to attempt to stain/protect the cypress table that came with the egg. But the thing is too darn heavy for me to lift out safely. I removed the "innards", but thought maybe taking off the lid would make it more managable. I believe I do have the spring assisted lid BTW. How do I remove the lid (is there a step to step guide with pics? I told you I wasn't handy) and is it easy to do? Am I asking for trouble?

HELP :ermm: :woohoo: :blink:

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Make sure you have the white plastic brackets. Don't do anything until you have those. They are rectangular in shape and have two holes in them.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Get help and leave the lid alone..
  • WokOnMedium
    Wolfie has a better plan.
  • THAT WAS QUICK!

The only help I have is my wife right now. Can I not just take the two screws that are going in the black bands around the egg lid?
  • WokOnMedium
    You could. The hinge is spring loaded. If you removed the bands the proper spacing is gone unless you have those white spacers. The fit over the bolts on either side of the hinge to keep the spacing right. If they aren't there, spring snaps shut and you won't be able to put them back on.

I'm searching posts to try to find you pictorial step by step, but putting them back on so you have a proper seal can be trying.
  • Not unless you first put something on the hinge system to keep the top band from flying up and breaking your nose when it no longer has the weight of the dome holding it. Also You may find it difficult to get the dome realigned. If possible, listen to CW & find some help lifting it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    have your wife hold the dome open. with pliers the springs come off easily when the dome is open. wear glasses when working with springs. then close the lid and loosen the dome band. i do this all the time and its the easiest way to do it yourself
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    should also mention, when reaching down to grab it thru the lower vent wear gloves, ive seen a few pics of cut hands from the sheetmetal over the years.
    fukahwee maine

• Man....what a pain. I love the Egg table, but why would they sell it untreated? I don't really have anyone to help me get it out and I would think it needs to be protected even with the vented cover I have.....maybe I should try to stain it with the darn thing in there.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Cypress is a swamp tree.. It knows how to shed water.

I am sure you have a neighbor or a friend who would like some good Q. Even stike has friends!!!
  • We have a local Egg dealer here...maybe I'll go over and have them show me what to do or how to maybe stain without removing the egg...
  • fishlessman
    it really isnt that hard to take apart, maybe 60 seconds once you have the pliers and wrench ;) theres a trick to putting it back together, place dome back on band that you never took off the base, snug it but not too tight. push dome done onto base and pry hinge with a screw driver the band up higher on dome and tighten til the bolts are bent, really bent. check for a tight fit between base and dome
    fukahwee maine

• I just assempled my large, with the help of my very strong son.

Being the owner of a bad back, here is what I would do:

Wrap the Egg with newspaper and stain away. The coating of the Egg won't absorb any stain or finish.

Remving the Egg is more trouble than it's worth, not to mention the risk of damaging the Egg.
  • Celtic Wolf
    I'd be more concern with him putting it back together correctly. If it passes the dollar bill test now leave the lid alone.
  • Celtic Wolf
    You seriously don't have any friends or family that will help you lift it out of the table?

It's not a matter of taking it apart. It is a matter of putting it back together. Putting the bands back so it seals right is not easy.

GET HELP!!
  • fishlessman
    thats if it were correctly put together the first time :whistle: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• My problem is my mouth. I told folks that they can come over for the "christening" of the darn thing. I'm off work, but everyone else is working. Maybe instead of "staining" it, I should just slap some clear protectant (like a sealant) on it to keep grease and such from messing with the wood. Then later do it properly....
  • fishlessman
    did they set it up with a paver between the egg and table, if not, get one from homedepot. the bottom of an egg gets hot enough to burn wood even with the feet under it, a paver and the feet is a better setup
    fukahwee maine

• i can't help ya but tell folks where your from in your post and you may have a fellow egger near you. all of us here have met folks nearby and even in the same town.
  • Celtic Wolf
    but he needs help lifting it up so he can get the paver under it..

I smell catch-22
  • Luckily, they did set it up with a paver, so that is taken care of! I'll stop by that Green dealer and talk to them (even though I didn't get it from them) and the run by Lowes and get some thompson or something and just do it "around" the egg....
  • fishlessman
    if they put a paver under it theres a good chance that its assembled right, someday you will be taking that dome off though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Yes...it is fully assembled
  • Danman
    Danman Posts: 22
    work around it,stain up to the pavers.You put a sealer on it now and it will never take a stain later.Sounds like you need help lifting to add the feet between the bottom and the pavers,I think this is a must do
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Welcome aboard. Where in Tennessee are you ?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I might have missed it in all these posts, but the egg should not be sitting directly on the paver. You also need to have the three green feet that came with the egg to allow airflow between the egg and the paver. Otherwise, the wood will burn. There are pics of that around here somewhere.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut