Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pricing out Eggs

Booking It
Booking It Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for several years, and I am about ready to take the plunge and buy a large Big Green Egg. I am not in a hurry, but I am beginning to price them out.

The problem is that I live on the North Shore of Chicago where prices for anything and everything are inflated (ie I just bought a 12 pack of pop for $6... no deposit:S). I went to our local Egg dealer and a large with nothing else was $950. Adding the little side tables (nest?) made it about $999. The whole shebang with the cypress table was $1350.

Is this about right, or are there vast differences in price depending on where you live? We do travel to Iowa quite a bit, so I'm also curious if it's cheaper out there. We're also going on a roadtrip to D.C. this summer, so again, I'm wondering about pricing everywhere since we're going to be traveling through so many states.

Depending on what the responses are, I might end up waiting until an Eggfest (Oswego, Indianapolis or KC) to buy a demo.

Thanks for any help or advice! :cheer:
-Kara

Comments

• Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Around here - Warsaw IN, 2 hour drive from you , the large can be had for around $700. Try Bontreger Pool in Elkhart. IN.
  • Kara,

Whatever you do, don't wait til summer for the egg. You will probably spend the difference on restaurant meals and pizzas between now and then. Just my opinion.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I paid $815 plus tax for a large with nest (the stand with casters), plate setter, pizza stone, cast iron grid, ash tool, starter cubes, 2 bags BGE lump, a bag of hickory chunks and a grid brush. Some told me I got a good deal. Others said I paid too much. Whatever. I'm still solvent (more or less) and I'm lovin' it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If your local dealers are great people to deal with,I'd use em.If they are just fly-by-niters in it for a buck then go for price.A relationship with a true egg dealer is very good to have and there are a bunch of em.Others,not so much.Some can give you lotsa help other than sellin you an egg.I understand being price wise but some people can be penny wise and pound foolish.It's a personal thang. Just my thoughts.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I think a better question is how good is your local dealer? Does he know how to use the EGG®? Does he carry a lot of EGGcessories®? Does he carry charcoal and rubs and sauces and other things you might need? Is he a nice guy that you think would be a good resource for you down the road? Will he provide you with warranty parts if needed?

If you answered yes to some of these than you might want to consider the value of that when you evaluate the price.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I think a large demo egg with extras was going somewhere around $700 at EggwegoFest in Oswego.
    I'll be there next year. :woohoo:
  • Wow! I can't believe that there have already been so many responses!

The dealer is just an ACE hardware store... nothing special, and the people working there tonight couldn't have cared less that we were there.

There is BBQ store in Wilmette that I might try as well. They have a good reputation, so we'll see. Agh! Why couldn't I just have gotten one as a Christmas gift? :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Wishful thinking ! Price and service are BOTH important. Having to put out that kind of money and not getting much other than the EGG is a bit much. I appreciate value as well. Check out other places.

Good luck.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    set aside the first Saturday in June for a 175 mile trip down to Peoria, IL and attend our 8th annual eggfest and take home a BGE at a price much cheaper than that! Email me in the morning for more info!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Use the dealer locator feature...

http://www.biggreenegg.com

just type in your zip code and how far you are willing to go.

Make a few phone calls.

Say I am looking to spend 700 dollars cash can you help me :whistle:
  • If you can hold out for an Eggfest somewhere in your area, this is when you will get your best price.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    We've had our large for almost 2 years and we paid almost 1100 for the package which included the nest and egg mates plus we picked up the plate setter, cast iron grid and pizza stone and some wood chucks and lump charcoal.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • ...and why pay a deposit?
  • Here's a price list from my dealer in Houston Texas. Over Christmas, all BBQ grills (including the BGE) had a 20% discount.

The 2nd price is the cost of assembly and delivery.

Sorry for the picture quality. Taken with my iPhone.

photo.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ...and that does not take into account the freight to ship stuff to Chicago. In TX, your dealer probably has no freight cost (or very little) from Paragon if they buy with any type of volume.
  • In the heartland, carbonated non-alcoholic beverages are called "pop". On the west coast they are called "soda" and in the northeast they are called "tonic".
  • In Texas, it's called coke, no matter what it is. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Same way in Alabama. Unless you are talking about RC Cola. That is a legend all by itself.
  • Being a BGE dealer in Arizona, I think dealer knowledge and service is most important. Most dealers sell for BGE retail prices anyway. Some discount a little, but service and just being able to answer questions is important. We also have a competition team using only BGE'S . We always set up and deliver for the same price too. Having accessories in stock is also a good thing
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    yep, tonic coke and seltzer in the northeast, maybe soda pop in ptown down on the cape :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Only if enjoyed with a moon pie.
  • Hey, I'll change my deal. If Navy wins you can get me a double decker vanilla moon pie and an RC cola. If your team wins, I'll do the same. :kiss:
  • I've always heard it called an "Awh ruh C". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• That's a great deal compared to mine. All that would have cost me $1,100. Congrats!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    I have 2 dealers here in Rockford IL and I still went into Lake Zurich to get mine. Price and service were the 2 major factors. My large included assembly, nest, bag of BGE lump, and starter. Total set me back 770 dollars. Only thing extra I got that day was a platesetter. Cedar Hill Nursery is the name
  • Q!

I'll tell you too, you got a good deal.

My large, nest, plate setter, pizza stone and BGE ripoff starters was $1k + tax.

However, there was only one store in town with them.

I was able to compare prices to the other "stores" and that was the going rate. (What do you call a retail establishment without any inventory?)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    NotabuttDave wrote:
    Q!

What do you call a retail establishment without any inventory?

My BGE dealer. :S

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut