Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - Rib-eye Roasting Question

Magicman_007
Magicman_007 Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all the great helpful people and encouragement on here, I just took delivery of my new large egg today. I cooked some Salmon and veggies tonight and it was awesome!

So, on to the question. I am going to cook a 10 - 12lb Rib-eye Roast. In the past, before the BGE, I would cook it in my convection oven for 15 min @ 450 and then reduce the heat to 325 and slow roast to an internal temp of 120 and then let it rest in tinted foil for 20 min or so. This always came out awesome. I expect better with the BGE!

So, I was going to sear on each side for 5 min each side @ 500 and the bring the temp down to 325 and slow roast. I was going to do the sear without the plate setter, then add the plate setter and bring down the temp and slow roast to temp. Is this a good plan? Searing temps or times too long? Should I use the plate setter the whole time? Help and comments sure would be appreciated!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If you are "Hell BENT" on a sear(uselessIMHO)Do a reverse sear.Roast your Rib Roast@ 250-300,pull @ 115 Internal,bump egg to 500 Indirect put back on and sear,pull,let rest at least 20 mins.,enjoy! ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Either way will work or just do the sear at the finish. Another way is just roast with no sear. Not really a wrong way to cook a standing rib roast other than overcooking.
  • Never really thought about NOT doing a dear, nor did I think of the "reverse sear."

What is the advantage or difference of the reverse sear vs a sear at the beginning?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    You don't have to wait for your egg to cool down,which can take a while,roast it at a lower temp,then pull it off,crank up da egg to nuclear temps and sear if you must!USLESS!JMHO! B) All you gonna do is BURN the outside of the Roast.SEAR=BURN!!!It's your meat,go for it! ;)
  • Here is some helpful info that was sent to me by a fellow member here just recently......it explains the reverse sear method.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html?ref=se-bb4
  • Hey Magic, congrats on finally getting the egg. Did you end up getting it at Swim-n-fun? I was by there yesterday and it looks like they had a good Christmas. Only had 2 pre-built eggs on the floor.

Any hoo, on your question, I'm with Hoss and don't think you need the sear. The long roast should give you a nice crust on the outside without any burnt parts.

Question back to you, do you plan to cut the 12# in half or are you going to cook it whole?

Later,
    Bryan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i would cook it the same way that youve been doing it in your oven, thats a great way to cook a big ribeye roast in an egg ;) platesetter, roasting pan, make sure to put a space between pan and platesetter, 20 min 450, drop temps to 325/350 and finish it to desred temps.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi Bryan,

Thanks so much for the heads up on the locations. I ended up at Swim-n-Style because i did want the delivery and assembly. I purchased a large. Again, thanks for the heads up and the advice.

As for your question, I plan on NOT cutting it in half. Still on the sear or not to sear question. Leaning to not to sear. I still want it to be a little "crisp" in the outside.
  • Sill have a couple of questions:

1) Do I use the plate setter with the legs up or legs down?

2) If I do sear, reverse or at the beginning, do I use the plate setter during the searing process?

3) I was going to put a drip pan on the plate setter and put the Roast directly on the grate. Is this ok? Do I need a roasting pan?

4) Will the the V-Rack make this cook better?

Thanks!
  • Wow! What great info. Thanks!
  • Hoss,

Man I wish I had a pic of the ones I did for Christmas dinner. 250* all the way and they looked great and tasted awesome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON