Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend's over-What did you cook?

Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It'a always intresting to see what the people on the forum cook over the week-end. So what marvelous cooks did you do on the BGE this Weekend?
Me? T-Rex Steaks served with a 1998 Gnarly Vines Zinfandel from Louis Martini. It was hard to determine which was better.
Hammer

Comments

• singram
    singram Posts: 31
    Hammer,[p]At the Florida Fest yesterday I cooked duck breast and served it as peking duck followed by ABT's with smoked duck confit and goat cheese.[p]I'm just about to pull a T'rexed steak off of my new cast iron cooking grid for dinner tonight.[p]Steve
  • Hammer,[p]Great question. I really enjoy these before/after threads.[p]Friday ... Sam's Club salmon brushed with EV olive oil and sprinkled with dill, corn on-the-cob grilled in the husk, salad, Budweiser.[p]Saturday, TRex strips with Cow Lick, salad, Budweiser.[p]Sunday (on the Egg right now), chicken leg/thigh pieces rubbed with Jerk seasoning, grilled brocolli, salad, Budweiser.[p]Dave
  • Lance
    Lance Posts: 11
    Hammer,[p]Today, I cooked 3-1-1 Spare Ribs w/ Williams Bros. BBQ sause. Also, I hickory smoked two Vidalia Onions @ 300 deg. that I cored out and sauteed the core with butter and bacon and then stuuffed it. Then cooked indirect for 1 hr. It was awsome!!!
  • Hammer
    Lance,
    Sounds good! What did you stuff the vidalia with?
    Hammer

• Hammer
    Dave's Not Here,
    The Bud man shouls send you a free case! I love Bud, but a long neck PBR is hard to beat!
    Hammer

• Hammer
    singram,
    Let me know how the cast iorn grill did. I bought one, but haven't used it yest.
    Hammer

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Hammer,[p]Wicked Grin chicken thighs, veggie pizza, cheese and roasted garlic pizza, ribeye steak, Jamaican Firewalk chicken wings, and Raging River shrimp.
  • Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Mr. Hyde,
    Please tell me about raging river shrimp...[p]Peg

• newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Tonight I made the Naked Whiz's spatchcock chicken. Simple to do, perfect for a family of four. Served with fresh green beans (boiled, then sauteed with butter, garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes and a salad.[p]Tomorrow, we will have chicken-noodle soup... the chicken bones are being boiled to make the stock even as I type this message.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Hammer,[p]Friday - Wicked Honey Roasted Almonds, Smoked Catfish Spread, Diana's Black Bean Salsa Salad, and Bonesmokers Bahama Mamas (Ray, that's a GREAT recipe, though technically I didn't "cook" it).[p]Saturday - Spicy Breakfast Cassarole with Roasted Picante Sauce and Fiesta Guacamole, Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings, Blazin' Hot Chicken Wings with Thick-As-A-Brick Bleu Cheese Dip, Meatloaf and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes.[p]Sunday - The last of the Wings from yesterday...![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Hammer,
    On Friday I did a 2-1/2 pound pork roast slowly over hickory chunk for use in some chili for an upcoming Sunday School soup and bread party. Followed up late that evening with some pita bread on the pizza stone. Saturday evening brought the chili cook - about 2 hours in a cast iron Dutch oven. Today it was some pork loin chops and chicken wings ... both with Carolina Treat bbq sauce. The egg is finally cooling off for a night's rest until I get back at it tomorrow with Cornish game hens.[p]Doc

[ul][li]FatDog Smoked Pork Chili[/ul]
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Hammer,[p]Friday and Saturday - Not able to cook out. :([p]Sunday - New York strip for lunch and 3-1-1 baby back ribs for dinner. Didn't even shut the vents after lunch. Just kept a cooking and drinking beer.[p]Ordered 6 - 8lb pork butts from the local butcher for a low-n-slo starting on Wednesday evening. Cooking for people staying at the local Ronald McDonald House. :)[p]
    BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Hammer,Boston Butt pulled pork. It was injected with Cajun garlic sauce, covered with mustard, garlic powder,and lots of Ken Stone's award winning Guilded Splinter rub. Smoked over aged hickory nuts...EVERYONE said it was the best "THANG" they had ever eaten. (We talk like that). First time I used the injected liquid garlic, great stuff!!

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Hammer,[p]10 pounds of Jamaican Firewalk wings
    Dizzy Cowlick Breakfast Brisket
    Pork Butt
    Grilled 'taters and grilled sweet 'taters
    Stuffed Pork Loin
    Spare ribs

and I sampled some of everything (I think) that Q-Babe and Mr Hyde cooked, too.[p]then tonight, more ribs and grilled corn on the cob that I forgot to cook yesterday.[p]BOB

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    singram,[p]It was all great, too! Thanks for feeding us!
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    tn slagamater,
    MMMMmmmmmm. Did you do that regular low and slow? ~20 hours. Or hotter and shorter? I sounds wonderful!

007 Posts: 10
    Hammer, I've had my BGE three days and can't stop cookin. I cooked the Worlds best pork tenderloin yesterday, some hamburgers and a drunk chicken today. There is a pork butt getting ready for Tuesday. Stay tuned, story @ eleven.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Hammer,[p]Friday, flank steak. Saturday, strombolis. Today, 2 butts, a chuck roast, ABTs and grilled pinnapple for desert. Not a Florida Eggfest menu, man that sounded like fun, but still some good eating at the Watson house.[p]Have a great week everyone!!![p]Chuck

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Hammer,[p]Today, Jamacian Firewalk chicken thighs. Foodsavered 'em for lunches next week.[p]Yesterday, smoked almonds ala chuckls. I'll be posting a recipe and photos in the near future.[p]Chuck
  • Steve-B, 225 dgrees for 16 hours, then bumped it up to 275 for another hour.Pulled at 200 internal temp to rest. It was the best bark I have ever had,too...

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Hammer,
    Did a couple slabs of baby backs. Came out excellent. I know it's been mentioned and almost the standard, but I tried coating with mustard before putting on the rub. Came out the best.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Slagman,
    Sounds awesome. Your best bark ever?? That had to be good. How many pounds was the cut?[p]Scott

• Four briskets, four racks of ribs, tried an overnighter on the new egg and failed. Temp was real low at 7:00am, I threw four butts away, oh well better luck next time.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Meatloaf Friday night. That's all of the Egg cooking I did this weekend. I spent the night at the firehouse Saturday, and helped cook some chicken breasts and drumsticks on a gas grill for dinner. They turned out pretty good, and it was so long since I've used a gas grill it was almost like a learning experience. [p]Maybe I can convince the Volunteer Fire Comission to give my department a budget for a large Egg and a large supply of lump and I could teach everyone there how to cook on it. :)
  • Hammer,
    Sat. nite was blackened chickened breast using Ken Stones Wicked Grin rub. Sunday evening was 1/2 lb. burgers mixed with onions and mushrooms, seared with Gilded Splinters rub. I tell you, my large has not been used lately due to the mini being so easy to lite, cook and eat. For small meals it just cannot be beat.

• singram
    singram Posts: 31
    Hammer,[p]Made beautiful wide grill marks. I seared for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, didn't rotate on each side since the grid is so wide anyway. When I put it back on to finish I rotated it, the grid still had enough heat to put the cross hatch sear on. Delicious steaks!![p]Steve
  • Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Hammer,[p]Friday-T-Rex Steaks on the Small[p]Saturday-Baby Back Ribs on the Large[p]Both served with a 2004 Miller Lite ;^) [p]We were asked over to my BIL and Sister's house Sunday evening. Had to eat a steak off one of those metal contraptions. Oh well it was a good weekend, ribs were some of the best I've ever made (so da wife says, and she's usually pretty honest, though it could be a conspiracy....).
  • Hammer
    Blaze,
    Sometimes we have to do, what we have to do. A steak on anything other than a BGe is just a steak IMO.
    Hammer

• Hammer
    duck,
    Sounds like you had a workout on the Egg. What happened on the overnighter? Throwing four(4) butts away had to be a bad feeling; it would be for me.
    Hammer

• Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Hammer,[p]Yep, grin & bear it...after all it's about the company not the food, right? [p]