Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High temp clean or NOT?

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, I know this is a tired subject here, but when I do a search for cleaning I get tons of different opinions. After cooking that Prime Rib and the drip pan practically melting I am gonna have to clean the PS and Egg somehow. Should I burn it out?

I fried some wings last night and then grilled them to bake in the sauce.....wife wanted me to heat some chicken fingers too, so I wrapped them in foil and put them on the extender.....the breading tasted like burnt smoke flavor.....NASTY.

So, do you high temp clean or not?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I do from time to time. I would get it up to about 600* or so and let it go until the smoke clears from any grease burning off. You could then toss the platesteer in the (up or down depending) and let the coals do a number on that grease. I have flipped a platesetter before to do both sides and had to use orkas. Oh yeah, I had to move very quickly ;)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Are you allowing your lump to burn clean prior to placing your food in it? There are VOCs given off during the early stages of burning lump. It normally takes around 30 to 45 minutes before they are gone. You can buy a VOC meter for around $100,000 or use your nose and sniff the exhaust coming from the egg. If it smells acrid (nasty) you need to wait awhile longer. It will eventually smell yummy signaling you to put the food in it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i have one egg that needs a high temp clean from time to time, its from 20 or so back to back low and slow thigh cooks done direct, the egg gets really gunked up after all those low and slows. the other eggs dont need to go high temp for a cleanout. you just need to burn some greese off and 350 to 400 will do it if you give it some time, wait til the smoke disapears and smells clean, thats it and the risk of ruining your gasket is alot less than going high temp. if you dont have a gasket ( i dont) go nuclear :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    The egg had been at about 375 for over an hour before the chicken strips went on it.
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    I have been eggin for 6 years or so
    and I have done High temp cleans
    I can by experiance tell you if you go beyond 700 deg the adhesive in the gasket material will melt and if the egg cools with the lid down it will become stuck and you will not be able to open the lid without destroying the gasket
    another thing that happens during a high temp clean (above 700 deg is you stand an excellent chance of breaking the fire box and sometimes even the fire ring although you can still use them after they crack it is still an annoying thing that can happen
    the last thing that happens is that if you leave the cooking grate in during the process the porcelin coating will blister and if it is a cast iron cooking grate it can crack, and so can the grate in the bottom of the fire box

The bottom line is that you can definatly do high temp cleans but be careful to much heat tears up your stuff
    Glenn
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I did that, but tried to flip the plate setter at around 900*. Wow, was that a bad idea. :pinch:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    500 for an hour or so should do the trick. As for that platesetter with the Teflon coating make sure the bad spot is facing the fire.

Ohh and make sure no birds fly over the top of your egg...
    :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    HUH!! I understand the toasted gasket, but the ceramics will be OK, unless you take them out try setting them on the cold ground..