Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt/Cyber-Q setup

Options
Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I'm going to try to cook a butt for New Years Eve. I just got a Cyber-Q for Xmas. I plan on filling the lump to the plate setter. Reading The Naked Whiz's technique I will light with a chimney starter of lump and set the cyber q to 250. Should I be waiting before putting the pork on for clear smoke? From what I've read it seems every one just puts it on after the light. Also, when running the cyber q where should the daisy wheel be? Thanks, J.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Daisey wheel petals just barely open & yes, wait for the smoke to clear before putting on your meat. That will also give it time to stabilize the temp.
  • Griller
    Options
    Congrats on your new Egg toy. The cyberQ will get you through the cook with no problems. Let the CyberQ bring your Egg up to temp and let the temp stabilize before you put the pork on. I try to wait about 45 minutes to an hour from the time I light it to the time I put the pork on. As for the daisy wheel, others have recommended having it open just wide enough to slip a toothpick through. That has worked well for me.
    Good luck and be sure to post the pics!
    ~Griller
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Smoke'n not stirred, Congrats on the CyberQ II! ;) I have one as well. I always wait till the smoke clears.

Here is what I do. Like you I fill my large egg with lump to the top of the fire-ring. I use my wiggle stick and wiggle from the bottom up just to make sure I can get the air. Now I usually lite my lump then put the plate-setter in and clip the pit probe to the dome probe until the egg has stabilized at 250° for about an hour. That means I have the CyberQ II up and running and the daisy wheel is turned open an eighth of an inch and the damper on the pit viper is at the first line. I clip the pit probe to the bend of the meat probe after I put the butt in and I try to make that connection an inch away from the meat itself or I have the tree that you can buy ect...

I also use the ramp mode on the CyberQ II I always start with a cleaned out egg and use fresh lump.

I know there are a lot of ways to do this but, this is what works for me and so far I have not had any troubles. I hope I answered your questions. Tim :)

000_0910.jpg

000_1050.jpg