Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham Cook

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FreshHam.jpg

My Christmas cook was a fresh 16.6 pound organic ham. I believe this is the single largest piece of meat I've done on my Medium. (It took almost 4 days to defrost in the fridge.)

I sliced the fat the night before, painted it with oil, and gave it a healthy dusting of DP Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom. Also, I stuck lots of garlic slices all over.

At 5 in the moring, I fired up the Egg. I had a good steady fire with the dome a bit above 300 by 6, and so started the ham, which had been out on the counter for the previous hour.

The dome dropped to 225, and stayed there after 1.5 hrs., I opened the bottom wider, and had the daisy "petals" all open. Never the less the temp didn't increase beyond 250.

By 10 a.m., more than half the lump was gone. With the vents as wide open as they were, I would have expected closer to 450 than the 250-ish I was getting.

I briefly removed the ham, and pan and grill, and dumped in more lump.

When I replaced the ham, I made sure the thinner end was under the dome therm. Despite a now roaring blaze that was keeping the liquid in the drip pan boiling, the dome still never reached hooter than 250. I can only guess that the huge mass of meat was keeping everything cool.

By 12.30, the Thermapen was reading at least a safe 153 in some places, and a somewhat overdone 170 in others. I removed the ham, and let it rest under a foil tent for half an hour.

FreshHamCooked.jpg

The broad end was a little over done, but everything else was fine. There was one place where the meat was still pretty red. I'm not sure if that is only because the flesh there happened to be unusually red or that it was under cooked. On the whole, this organic hog meat has been a brighter red than most commercial.

At any rate, it was a success. The outside of slices was crispy, and the flesh, overall, sweet and succulent.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That looks amazing!! Great post! Again getting me closer to cooking one myself.j
    Thanks!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Although everyone had quite a bit of the pig, and my daughter's huskies got lots of scraps, there was enough left that everyone got a pack of ham as a going away present. And that was from a rather small hog!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good leftover eats!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Love the checkering on the hog! Just a thought. I have a Medium as well and you are right about a chunk of meat on that Egg. One thing I have to watch with a lot on mine is to make sure the dome thermometer does not touch the meat. I just pop off the daisy wheel and shine a flashlight down to check. Not saying that was your problem just a thought.
  • Onion
    Onion Posts: 4
    Options
    Where did you buy the ham, if you don't mind me asking. I've been looking for one just like that around here (Phoenix) without any luck.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I like the way that ham looks. Bet it was a crowd pleaser.

If you have a concern that the thermo may hit the item you are cooking, you could remove it and replace with the clip on the outside of the egg for the cook. I have done that a few times.

Have you checked the calibration on your thermo lately? My sons was off by 70* when I checked his the other day.