Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini egg

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the mini egg a good addition to the large egg? It seems small but might be useful. Does it work the same way as large egg ie temp control heat.[p]Rich

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Rich, it's a great companion. I use mine about as much as I use my large. Tonight, it's a small steak for just my wife and me. I also do burgers(4), dogs (10), brats (6) chicken (2 breasts) and porkchops(2).

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Options
    Wise One,
    How about temp. control? I have the same set up (large and mini. I have a little more trouble keeping my temps down or keeping a consistent temp.[p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Rich,
    I gotta put a pitch in here for the small as the perfect combo with a large. There is a simple rule of thumb to remember with BGE products - that's the diameter of the cooking grates.
    Mini 9"
    Small 12"
    Med 15"
    Large 18"
    Now OTOH iffin you may plan to enjoy the pleasures of egging while traveling the mini is terrific - it may not fit in your duffle bag, but close to it, where the small will take more effort and taking your large may mean the Mrs may have to stay home go this trip!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Parrothead, I normally get it going in the 325-400 range and just let it go. I'm not usually trying to control the temp but I have heard others say they can keep it at 225 or so for several hours and I know others who have taken it up to 650.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Rich,
    I got both the large and mini just over a month ago. I love them both. The mini does travel very well and that is why I got it. I do wish I had a small for home use. I think if I had a small I would use the large much less. I guess you just need to decide what you want it for. Mini if traveling or the small for home cooking for 4 or so people. I would suggest to get the daisy wheel for the mini if you go that route.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Rich,[p]The mini is a great addition however temp control is different than the large, med or small. [p]I mainly use the mini for hot fast cooks...... like tonight I will be searing a 10 oz. sushi grade tuna steak and searing a pound of dry packed scallops. It can produce a lot of heat for a tiny cooker and with the coals so close to the grate, it's a searing machine.[p]If you wanted more temp control like the large, I would recommend the small.[p]John