Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juicy or Greasy?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked up some thick Ground Chuck Burgers last night. I TRex'd them and I thought they were great! Very juicy.[p]My wife hated them and said they were very greasy. [p]This is the 1st meal we have not both liked.[p]The meat was 85% lean if that matters.[p]I cooked the 1 1/2 thick burgers at about 800 for 90 seconds a side, then brought it down to 450 and cooked for 4 min per side.[p]Any ideas?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I usually make monster burgers, too, Nate. However, I have found that cooking them at around 350° direct for a longer period of time is what I prefer. Usually takes about 30 minutes or so, 15 mins a side. We made these down at the Lakeland contest and several non-eggers that tasted them said they were the best burgers they ever had. The slower method renders a little more of the fat, but they are still mighty juicy. The only thing seasoning wise I do is mix in a healthy amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning with the meat.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    First meal I cooked was the burger. Mixed equal parts Chuck and Sirlon. Cooked 300 15 mins per side.
    Fantastic
    frank [p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Nate Dogg, I dont think there's much to be gained by "searing" a burger, since it's not 1 piece of meat like a steak. I cook 1/2 pound burgers pretty much like JSLOT, 350-400 20-25 minutes.
    The rare burgers come off 5-10 minutes earlier.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    "I cooked up some thick Ground Chuck Burgers last night. I TRex'd them and I thought they were great! Very juicy.[p]My wife hated them and said they were very greasy. "[p]Hmmm = my wife said the same exact thing.[p]Toy Man

• Nate Dogg,
    like borders and j-slot, i go for about 400 degrees direct. .. turn once, never 'press' on the burger. .. the excess fat is gone, but what you get when you bite is actually red juice, not clear grease. . ..big difference... [p]

• Nate Dogg,
    Best tip I've ever heard is to poke a hole through the middle of the fat burger like a donut...[p]The fat gets out and you can cook the burger to a bit crunchy on the outside, medium rare on the inside without worrying about the middle being raw because you cooked it faster....

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Than you can use a bagel as bun!