Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Cu versus 3M Super 77?

Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are pages and pages of discussion regarding gaskets, because I was up till 1 a.m. reading them all.
BUT, none specifically on this subject.
I wondering if anybody that has tried both adhesives feels from their experience that one is better then the other?
3M is probably less messy and a little easier to use, and I'm tempted to go with that because I know it's been very well tested, and is recommended.
But still curious.

Specifically I'm looking for maximum high temp adhesion...

By the way, HAPPY HOLIDAYS ONE AND ALL

Comments

• Ricklesss,

I don't have experience with the Super 77, but I did install my nomex gaskets with the Permatex Ultra and have had no problems. If I remeber correctly the Permatex Ultra has a rating of over 900 degrees. Like yourself, I spent a lot of time reading the forum before installing my new gasket, and decided to go with the Permatex. I remember reading where you needed to spray the super 77 in a cup and brush it on, and sounded messy to me. The permatex, I just squeezed onto the egg all the way around and used a popsickle stick to spread it a little, applied the gasket and let her sit for a day or two. No problems with the nomex or the adhesive so far.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've used both.

If your prime concern is maximum high temp adhesion then go with the silicone.

I also feel the silicone is easier to apply. It's just like squeezing toothpaste onto the rim of the egg then you slap the gasket onto it.
  • I believe the Permatex has a 600 degree rating. I used a silicone manufactured by Rutland that said it could withstand 500 degrees. I have been over 700 dome temp probably 50 times without a hiccup. The silicone grabs the gasket better and adheres to the egg better in my opinion. Although the dome temp climbs to 700+, I seriously doubt the gasket area gets anywhere near those temperatures.
  • I looked up the specs on the permatex, the info is below. I was wrong about 900 degrees, it says 700.

The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F (-59°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.
  • one might come off, the other won't.

permatex is the "i didn't even bother to clean the rim" solution.
  • i used red permatex 7 years ago( cause i already had a tube open and in my tool box) .... with no gasket material( i wlll when the need arises) but so far it performed well...and i have had nuclear temps on my egg many times....(i start a fire and then get distracted and forget about it) i think i'm getting senile virus... most folk get the west nile virus....lol...
  • was that you who used the permatex all by itself? someone here mentioned maybe trying it once a while back, and i knew someone else had actually done it.

about the smartest, simplest thing i ever saw here on the forum.

simple bead all the way around, a bit of plastic wrap as a bond-break, and shut the lid. when cured, remove the plastic wrap. good to go, no gasket required

(for those wondering, with questions, the answer to all of them is pretty much 'no')
  • Ranger Ray, that's incredible you wrote that, as only about an hour ago, I said to my sweetie that I wondered how that technique might work.
    Have you been cooking with that egg like that, for all these 7 long years??
    You mention using a gasket "when the need arises", but if you got 7 years with it that way, why use a gasket...
    Tell me more! Inquiring minds want to know! :laugh:
  • yes that was me...
  • rickless described it quite well.... i sprayed some pam on the saran wrap so it would not stick to the silicone.. recap:
    * i cleaned the lower lip...
    * applied a bead of permatex completely around the center of the lip (red was already opened and in my tool box
    *i sprayed some "saran"/plastic with vegetable oil
    * closed the lid .... let it sit for 24 hours
    * opened lid... removed plastic

when the lid closed it squashed the silcone.... thereby forming a perfectly fitted gasket...it's thicker/thinner in some places based on the irregularity of the lip's surfaces.

hope this helps? i did make a gasket for my top cap.... i used the permatex and a bit of wood stove gasket material...that's been there many years too....
  • oh! forgot to mention that "my" gasket has been on there all of this time with no problems ....i'd use the gold stuff next time when i have to redo it...when? who knows??

merry christmas... happy holidays to all....
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Ricklesss, if you have not already done it watch Fred's videos (there are 3 of them) on gasket replacement.
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/557.htm
    I found them very helpful; I used the 3M Super 77, and made a cardboard template to fit the ID of the egg, then just sprayed it on the rim, per his video. Seems to have worked well; my nomex is still intact after several 650-700 ° pizzas, and an occasional nuclear cleaning cycle. Keep us posted with pictures.

Merry Christmas, Uglydog