Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin roast for dinner tonight

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our local market had some great Beef Tenderloin (peeled), so I figured it was time for me to try it. I trimmed it, and cut off a roast piece and froze some filets and shish kabob meat for the future.

I coated the meat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some homemade roasted garlic which I squeezed in every crevice I could. Here is a picture right before it went on the BGE.
DSC06317.jpg

I first seared it on all sides
DSC06318.jpg

I then put in the plate setter, some Apple wood, and set it for 325 degrees at the grid and left it until it got to 140 degrees internal (took a little over an hour). Here it is ready to remove
DSC06323.jpg

Here are the first few slices
DSC06325.jpg

It came out extremely tender - maybe even too tender. I guess I like my meat to have a little more 'chew' than this. It was delicious. I never thought meat could be too tender.
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Beautiful finish!! How did the flavors of your prep come thru? Did garlic carry over to finish?

Dave in Keller, TX
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    That looks great! Nice pictures!
    Kent Madison MS
  • It looks just right to me Barry

Ross
  • Shiff
    Yes, the garlic taste really came through but was not over powering. I make roasted garlic to keep in the fridge and like it because it isn't as strong as fresh garlic. We cut the top 1/4 inch off a whole garlic, then drip in some olive oil and wrap in foil and put on the grill at the end of a cook. We leave it there as the grill cools and after about 45 minutes it is ready.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Looks nice to me, Barry.

Tenderloin is definitely a bit different flavor and texture than ribeyes and strip steaks.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Shiff
    I did a rib roast a few weeks ago and think that I like the texture of that better. I had to try this since the meat looked so great in the market. I'm glad I did, so now I know what to expect.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • very jealous. still in the budget area at meat counter but can't complain because I am blesses with a great family who just love my flat irons. definately having trouble moving up the line in beef cuts.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Barry, that looks really good. Then again,I just got back from the Eagles game where I ate one of the $5.50 cardboard hamburgers. :P I'll have to put that on my "to do" list.
    Brian
  • I love filets but havent cooked the whole tenderlion yet. i guess everyone likes the seared sides so much that it wwould be hard for me to only have two sides of seared meat,-r
  • MxDad,

Keep an eye out for deals and check all of your local markets. I am in The Detroit 'burbs and often find a huge overlay in meat prices.

My family loves flat iron steaks. Great flavor and tenderness, but it is nearly always 7 or 8 bucks per pound, here.

Some of the local grocers often have choice ribeye, tenderloin and rib roasts priced at $5 per pound.

I always shop the meat counter first. Find what's on sale and then shop for any sides that you don't already have at home.

These are tough times, but we can still eat well. Chicken is always great on the egg, and usually available inexpensively. Hang in there.

Joe
  • Hi Shiff,

Great looking tenderloin! I love roast garlic and often keep some in the freezer in 8 oz. containers. Here is how I roast mine.
    Garlic_640.jpg
    I buy 3 pound jars of it at Sam's all peeled and dump it in my dutch oven with enough canola oil (more resistant to burning then olive oil) to coat it and a pinch or two of sea salt. I start out with the lid on the DO and then remove it as the garlic starts to cook. I run the egg at 350-400º and stir it often, every 10 minutes or so. You would never know it wasn't roasted the conventional way.
    I sometimes caramelize onions the same way.
    SwissMushChC_640.jpg
    And freeze them just like the garlic. If my freezer was big enough I would do mushrooms the same way. They are all great to have on hand.

Gator

• wow I feel cheap. flats are only 4.99 regular price and I wait to get them on sale at 2.99. south live on.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    GatorB, how long do you cook the garlic? And the onions? Thanks.
  • Shiff
    That garlic looks good. We can get garlic pretty cheap here at the farmer's market. The way I do it uses the heat leftover after a cook and requires very little preparation. We just put it in the fridge until needed. Then squeeze a couple of the cloves to extract the roasted garlic.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    I cook many inexpensive cuts. Around here,my favorite market sells Brisket flats for $2.49 - $2.99 /lb. They have packer cut briskets once in a great while for $1.99. I also watch for chuck roasts to make Clay's BBQ beef - they are on sale for $1.99/lb regularly.

The peeled tenderloin was $8.99/lb which is outside my normal price range,but I wanted to try one. I think I'll stay with rib roasts when they go on sale for $5.99/lb for fancy dinners.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • That looks great Hard to belive it can be too tender
  • Shiff
    I never expected to ever complain about meat being too tender, but the texture of the tenderloin was just too soft for me. It didn't have the texture of meat. I guess I like my meat more like sirloin steak or rib roast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Barry
    I think that looks great. Most guest always rave about a beef tenderloin and your certainly is a great looking cook.
  • Did you use any wood floavoring? And did you cook it indirectly all the way?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    yup...looks just fine!
  • Shiff
    I used Apple wood for flavor - not very much. Other posts about tenderloin warned that it takes on smoke very quickly. I just used 2 small chunks and it tasted great.

It was seared at the beginning, then cooked indirect for the rest of the cook.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    We don't like our meat cooked too rare, so I was concerned that others had said that tenderloin would get tough if it is overcooked. Mine was just a little pink in the center and was very tender. We had some of the leftovers last night and heated it in the microwave and it was still fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA