Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese storage question

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seeing everybody smoking cheeses has got me itching to try it. One thing though... while we have an extra freezer, we only have one fridge. And I keep reading that the cheese will stink up your fridge while it mellows.

SO, with that in mind, it's winter here in Chicago. Think it would be alright if I bagged it up and left it in the garage? Or put it into a cooler with some icepacks/snowballs?

Anybody know what temp it needs to be stored at to stay good and 'age'?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have 16 pounds in my fridge rite now stored in Ziplock FREEZER bags.It's been in there for a week,NO ODOR whatsoever. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Use a good zip lock bag(s).

If you leave the smoked where the aroma will leak, everything will have odor where ever it is stored.

As long as you garage is 40° or lower ALL THE TIME you will be OK. If the garage freezes you will have frozen cheese.

GG
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I have about 20 lbs in my 'fridge now and all of it is vacuum sealed. It's going so fast that I'll have to do another big batch Tuesday night just to give to family for Christmas.

I've been told in a vac sealed environment it will keep for many months and a couple have said freezing isn't a problem but I haven't tried that for myself yet.

Bruce
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I vac seal and freeze them, cheese freezes well. -RP