Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbe BGE Questions

Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa is bringing me a new large BGE for Christmas. In talking to the salesman, he has told me that the gasket issue has been resolved. Is this accurate or can I plan on losing the gasket?

Secondly, I have seen posts that mention improper alignment of the gaskets. Is this only a problem when replacing the gasket or during initial assembly?

Thanks

Scott
Collierville, TN

Comments

• I've had my large BGE for 3 weeks and have already blown my gasket.

Admittedly, I had a runaway fire, but still, it fried my gasket.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

•  
    For the most part, the gasket is not the problem it was/is the adhesive.

If you take your egg to very high temperatures or have something that will radiate heat close to the gasket level you may end up with gasket problems.

There is no way of knowing if any particular gasket had the problem adhesive.

Dome/base alignment (gasket alignment) can happen to any egg, new or old. A good alignment can be changed by lifting on the hinge assembly or loose band bolts.

Don't lift the egg by the dome, bands or hinge assembly.

I wouldn't let either potential problem be a reason not to buy.

GG
  • We sell 8-10 Eggs a month here and we don't see gasket problems anymore.

Keep the temps under 450 for your first 4-5 cooks and you will be fine.

High heat on a new gasket can still a problem.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I respectfully disagree. It might ALSO be the adhesive, but my gasket fried in just a few weeks, even after a number of low temp cooks. It did not peel off, as I think would have been the case if the adhesive had failed. It simply melted. Nothing left but crispy little chunks. Mine is a fairly new egg (purchased in August 09).

The felt gaskets are simply unsuitable for this application, IMHO. And they WILL fail. Unless you're smoking cheese. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I can't speak for BGE but I can guess that there are quite a few eggs out there with the older gaskets. I'm sure they wouldn't buy gasket material in lots of 100. If your dealer said the gasket issue has been resolved, give him the benefit of the doubt. Just make sure he understands he will be replacing the gasket on a failure.

The alignment issue you refer to can happen any time. If the upper and lower bands are not tight enough, then they can slip in use and cause an alignment issue. It would be a good idea to check the alignment after every cook and adjust as necessary. Eventually you will get them tight enough that this won't be as much of an issue. When I first got my EGG I paid attention to the alignment and did everything I was supposed to do, with all that I still suffered a series of gasket failures. The whole time this was going on, I was producing some of the best BBQ & Grilled foods I have ever eaten. Finally I just realized that the gasket was (in my opinion) a nice little feature, but in no way affected the outcome of my meals. I have since went with an aftermarket gasket on one of my eggs and have the Nomex on the other two. even cooked for a few months without a gasket. While nice I don't see them being totally necessary. I am not trying to change your or anyone's opinion on the gasket. Heck you will pay a lot of money for the egg. My XL cost me a little over $1300.00 with the eggsessories I purchased at the time. I'm just saying, for me, the gasket is not as important as it use to be.
  • Danman
    Danman Posts: 22
    I must say, I had concerns about this at first,but now knowing you seasoned eggers are here and ready to answer any questions and lend us your support I'am worried I cant decide what to cook next!thanks for taking time with us.
  •  
    There are a lot of folks who have and have had great results with the felt. I still have it on all my eggs.

I went through a period where I ended up doing 9 replacements of the felt gasket (before the bad batch of adhesive). All failures were to dome/base alignment.

High heat will of course burn out a felt gasket.

This is a felt burn
    gasket_bge.jpg

This is mostly a bad adhesive, in this case too much heat for the adhesive. Parts of the gasket were just fine. This is the result of very poor dome/base alignment, that is a significant air gap between the base and dome.

medgasket1.jpg

IMO what many people have experienced in the resent past is adhesive failure and possible gasket movement thus allowing a burn out of the felt itself.

Felt gaskets have worked fine in the egg. Flashbacks and improper alignments have indeed taken their bounty.

Nomex, Rutland, Cotornic have a higher burning point and are less prone to gasket failure. But you will see a lot of people talking about using Permatex or some other high temperature adhesive.

The gasket material is one issue and the adhesive is another issue which has to be dealt with.

GG
  • Bluedot,

There has been a lot of noise made about gaskets the last year or so. You don't need a gasket to produce excellent food on an egg. It is not a big issue one way or the other as you will come to know.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  
    "What to cook next" is the good problems. :laugh:

GG
  •  
    It took me three years to finally be OK with a new or a gasket is necessary.

In the beginning I wanted the gasket because it was there when I bought my eggs. All the folks saying 'don't worry about the gaskets' just irked me.

Now almost 4 years later my large gasket is almost non existent. The Medium gasket is finally holding up well, the small and mini felt gaskets are just fine.

New, old or no gasket isn't going to make much difference in the food that comes off of the egg or the ability to cook.

Finally I am at a stage where I may replace the gasket on the large next summer, but again may not.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm. In your pic 2...

medgasket1.jpg

it looks like (on the left side) the adhesive failed. And on the right, the gasket simply melted. Mine didn't look as gooey as the right side of yours. Here's a (not very good) pic, though it doesn't show the whole circumference. This was taken less than one month after I bought the egg. It looked like this all the way around...and got considerably worse before I finally replaced it.

4201844228_cdb2238b9d_b.jpg

So what was the cause of this? Not trying to be argumentative - just trying to understand. Though my new Rutland and Permatex doesn't seem to care! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    GG has summed it up best. Worry over the gasket seems to freak out those who tend to be on the OCD side. I'm almost four years with my LBGE and there is little gasket anywhere. Lid alignment and band tightness are the critical things to ensure.
    Enjoy cooking!
    Kent Madison MS
  • I didn't read all the posts below your original questions, I appologize if this is redundant. My dealer will not sell an egg he or one of his staff doesn't assemble. He doesn't charge for assembly, but tells me he wants to limit episodes of dissatisfaction. It is true, the most common cause of gasket failure is poor allignment of the lid. Someone who really knows what they are doing, and has assembled several hundred or more is worth paying if they charge you. Just my two cents. B)
  • I didn't read all the posts below your original questions, I appologize if this is redundant. My dealer will not sell an egg he or one of his staff doesn't assemble. He doesn't charge for assembly, but tells me he wants to limit episodes of dissatisfaction. It is true, the most common cause of gasket failure is poor allignment of the lid. Someone who really knows what they are doing, and has assembled several hundred or more is worth paying if they charge you. Just my two cents. B)
  • sorry, my touchpad seems a little sensitive!! :ohmy:
  •  
    The picture is a bit light but that is good gasket on the far right then the dome would be offset, not that caused the problem.

The "V's" in the gasket look different and pretty deep.

I might venture a guess of your gasket would be some pretty high heat searing or a miss aligned dome, however, there doesn't seem to be any burn on the outer side of the felt (from looking at what I can see in the picture).

I have no doubt the Rutland/Permatex would be a good solution for a long lasting gasket. There have been a few adhesive failures with Rutland but not very many.

I have, too many, times stated my feelings about Rutland and won't go into it here.

BGE and Rutland both say not to use around food. With that said there are a huge number of forum members that love the Rutland solution.

When I was having problems I bought 5 or 6 extra felt gasket kits. Other than some problems with the medium and my improper use the felt gaskets are holding up very good for me. Once my felt is gone I will probably go with Nomex and Permatex.

GG
  • My egg is 2 weeks old and the gaskets are gone. The instructions said nothing about 4-5 cooks at lower temp.

Of course, I have to wait until Tuesday to talk to my dealer. They are closed on Sunday and Monday!
  • Ask for the Nomex or high heat gasket instead of the felt. It can handle a bit more abuse. :)