Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rib Cook (with a few pics)

Lei'd-n-Egg
Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Against better judgement I decided to cook my first baby back ribs for a neighborhood Christmas party last night and they turned out GREAT! Thanks Carwash Mike and everyone else for all the great advice.

Here's a few things I learned along the way:

FIRE PREP
I used a single fire starter right in the middle, and after things got going (5-10 mins) I placed 3 soaked cherry wood chunks around the center. Put my plate setter (legs up), drip pan and grid back on.

Looking back, I think I needed to let the fire starter go a little longer (10-15mins). No real impact, but it did take a little longer to come up to temp than I expected.

RIB PREP
Followed Carwash Mikes (CWM) directions pretty closely. Used CostCo three pack (no membrane as expected), Bad Byron's Butt Rub, yellow mustard, and a little more Butt Rub. Let them sit in the fridge a little over 1 hour.

THE COOK
Got egg up to temp. CWM directions says 200-225, but I assumed that meant grid temp, so I went off 250 dome temp and it seemd to work out just fine.

I misted the ribs with apple juice and cider vinegar after hours 1, 2, and 3. Then I bumped the dome temp to 275 and foiled the ribs, meat side down for hour #4. For the final hour, I bumped the dome temp to 300, I pulled the foil and sauced with Kraft Original BBQ sauce.

Overall, the ribs turned out great and were really easy. Next time, I'm going to try them flat on the grid, but I will likely keep everything else the same.

However, I still need to figure out how to keep the dome temp steady. Throughout the cook, I had to constantly play with the top and bottom vents. For the most part my bottom vent was 0.25-0.50 inches, and the top was open almost 0.20 inches as well. Seems pretty wide open compared to what others have reported on the forum.

Here's the raw materials:
IMG_1538.jpg

Here's the ribs just before I put them on the egg:
IMG_1540.jpg

And last two of the finished product:
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg

Comments