Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jeeps

Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Anyone here have Jeeps? I'm thinking about getting me a Wrangler, say a 2000-2004 or so Rubicon. I just want to get something thats fun to drive. Always wanted one.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    They are capital F.U.N....fun :)

Go Nuts :woohoo:
  • I've had Jeeps for the last 20 years and love them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    not sure about the smaller jeeps, but the larger sport models back then had different suspension packages. a freind had one stolen with the upcountry package which was way nicer than the standard suspension he got as a replacement. get on a jeep forum, you want the better suspension if its available on those years, i think the newer rubicons arent the same as the years your looking at which may be a good thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  •  
    I have to agree with Adam, Jeeps are a ton of fun. My last one was a Wagoneer, made by Willey's about 1965. It needed a bunch of TLC but I built a mini-camper out of it. Summers it had beach tires on it and was a serious beach buggy. Winters I put snow tires all around and more snow = more fun. Now I drive a 16 year old Civic and smile every time I pass a gas station. :laugh:

Gator

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I have a 98' Wrangler Sport(slightly modified)and love it.They are a ton of fun.Mine's got over 160,000 miles and still runs great :woohoo: Broke the exaust manifold recently,but you gotta expect some stuff to break(every now and then) :whistle: Go get one and enjoy :)

018.jpg

017-1.jpg
  •  
    A nice looking jeep at that.

160k miles, I would have never thought it would last that long without a lot of major repairs.

I have a '01 Grand Cherokee which is approaching 100k miles. Just wondering when something major is going to be need.

I have had a few problems which were a bit costly to get fixed and there is an intermittent problem (engine or transmission) which I can't track down.

Other than that it has been a great vehicle. I like the style and ride. I hope I can get the miles you have on yours.

I think a Jeep, Jeep (Wrangler style) would be a lot of fun to have.

Kent
  • Just crossed 101K on my 2004 Liberty. Have had very few issues with it. Like you now I'm just hoping it holds up for another 100K or so.
  • I have full size Jeeps, but one of our club members takes his wife's Rubi sometimes instead of his Wagoneer and it is a very capable off roader, even though he has to worry about putting new scratches on it that she might see.
  • Rolling Egg
    I've looked at several Jeep Wrangler sports, X's, and Rubicons and have pretty much decided on a Rubi or sport. Also I'm trying to decide on a half or full door. I really like the way yours looks with the full door and top down. Do the doors come completely off too? Yours looks great by the way. I showed it to my wife and told her "thats pretty much the Jeep look that I'm shooting for when I get done customizing mine." Great height, great tire size and wheel choice. Thanks for the input man!
  • "Sparky"
    Thanks man.Yes,the doors do come off very easily.There is an overide fuse(so the dome light doesn't stay on).Here's a couple of pics without the doors :)

008-21.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

BTW:that's a 3.5" lift,with 33-12.50x15 tires on 15"x10" wheels ;) Still drives great :woohoo:
  • wilco1
    wilco1 Posts: 22
    I have a cj-7 built to do whatever you want to do. If you get a jeep get a cj. You want a classic don't you?
  • "Sparky"
    While I do like the older CJ's,the creature comforts of the TJ's makes it a no brainer for me.I wouldn't want to drive a 76' CJ-5 from here(GA)to Boston,or even FL for that matter :ohmy: .If I didn't drive on the highway's much,yes,I would have a "classic" :)
  • wilco1
    wilco1 Posts: 22
    True. But I wouldn't have anything different in Tellico on the Helicopter Pad trail. Daily driver mine is not. Beat you to death. But off-road bueno.
  • Rolling Egg
    Sweeeeeettttt!!! Thanks for the doorless pics. That pretty much settles the door decision. Call me crazy but I think it looks tuff with the full door and top down. I dunno,, maybe it's just me.
  • Rolling Egg
    Not really interested in the classics. They look good but I want one that I can put on the road back and forth to work if I need to. I guess what I'm saying is I need one with a half way smooth ride and dependable. looking for 2000 to 2004 or so. Thanks for the input. By the way click on this link and look at this CJ. It's here close to the house where a guy deals in Jeeps.
    http://webejeeping.com/jeep-cj/1986-monster-cj-7/
  • "Sparky"
    I love having the full doors on mine.I like being able to roll down the window,instead of un-zip :laugh: These TJ's are much better on the road,where most of my driving is done(unfortunatley) ;) And I have driven this Jeep from GA to Boston :pinch:No way I would do it in a classic :blink: I like having the modern electronics,heating/cooling,and airbags,as well as the ability to play :) .If you have any more questions,feel free to email me,and I'll try to help.