Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can of Coke Classic

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone remind me how to use a can of Coke to rejuvenate pulled pork? I have been putting my left overs in Seal-A-Meal bags and freezing them. Whenever I pull one out to thaw and reheat, the texture of the meat is just a little dry...especially on the thinner ends. It's not terrible, but it's not good enough for me to feed to others. Is it at this point that I should reheat it with Coke? How much Coke for say 5 lbs. of meat? Or is the Coke process used for other problems, all together?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Here's a little help from RRP.

Try one more time. I can't get the link to work?? I was able to copy and paste to my browser and it worked that way. Sorry about that. I usually don't have that problem.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=222513&catid=1

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• That's it! What a team! Thanks very much.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hi...I'm RRP...and I approve this unpaid non-political endorsement! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I haven't been posting much this past year, but I remember having many questions answered by you when I was more active in here. I should have known there would be a frequenly-referred-to post by you that would answer my question. Thanks for that and the many others. Glad to see the same, familiar, high level of activity (plus many new members) in this forum that there used to be, and glad you're still active in it. Have a great Christmas and New Year.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I prefer Coke and some of the foil liquids (if you have any left by the time you get to the leftover stage) Instead of adding the liquid to the vacuum bags, I like to freeze it first, just add 1/2" into ice cube trays, then deposit a few of the ice pieces within the pulled pork as you bag it up.

Like Ron mentioned Classic Coke is way to go. If you live near Latin markets that stock Mexican Coke, try that too. It's made with cane sugar and is even sweeter than the Classic.

Here is a full list of popular reheating liquids to give you some ideas what other folks use.

PULLED PORK
    Apple juice + cooking juice
    Apple juice + chicken broth
    Coca-Cola
    Apple juice + cooking juice + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola + chicken broth
    Coca Cola + BBQ sauce
    Apple juice
    Apple juice + cider vinegar
    Dr. Pepper + cooking juice
    RC Cola + sauce
    Cider vinegar + water
    Vinegar + water (or apple cider)
    Fruit nectar
    Pineapple juice + sauce
    Sprite
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I use chicken stock/broth.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Warm the PP in a covered sauce pan with a couple shots of "Pam" then apply a good BBQ sauce once plated. Put the Classic Coke over ice in a glass and enjoy!

Its for drinking, not making cakes, cleaning toilets, or warming Que.....

Nice to hear from ya Greaseball!

:)