Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket replacement - easy!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
for those of you who saw my post about cooking my gaskets, and then the follow-up discussion of the merits/non-merits of the various alternatives. . .here is what i ended up doing. . .[p]after reading everyone's input, and weighing it all out, i decided to go with the BGE replacement gaskets. . .primary reason is that i'm basically lazy, and wanted the easiest solution. . .i was not scared off from the rutland stuff due to the fibreglass issues as much as i was by people's problems experienced in applying the stuff. . .[p]i called bge on wednesday, and by saturday had the gaskets (i ordered two kits as they are less than $10.00 a piece, and this way i have spare for any future nuclear misshaps). . .[p]now remember, i told you that the night i cooked my old gaskets, i pretty well scraped off the old stuff while it was still hot, so saturday all i had to do was scrape off a little charred crud that was left (took about 5 minutes), rubbed the surfaces down with some 409 to get most of the excess grease off, and then applied the new gasket (took maybe 5 minutes). . .simple to peel back the tape while running the gasket around the rim of the egg (didn't even need to remove the dome, i was able to do it easily with dome in place). . . .closed the dome to let it set overnight, and waaalaaa, i was ready to cook on sunday. . . .[p]when all else was said, this was just plain easy. .. .and for the price of replacement bge gasket, i don't care of it only lasts me a year again. ...

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, that sounds pretty easy - even for a mechanically challanged guy like me... hehe...[p]I chared my origional gasket a few weks ago (not as bad as you), but have not experienced any temp spikes or anything strange after several coojs so I'm going to let it ride until something strange happens (and I get damn mad). Isn't that the American way??? [p]Thanks Max, it's good to know I can run down to Clairmont Rd to get a gasket and fix it quickly & easily. Later! Joe
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    i think the common problem that happens as the gaskets start to go, is the lid sticking after your egg cools down. .. .nothing more frustrating than going out back to light up the egg for some big old steaks, and not being able to pry that sucker open no matter how hard you try. . .[p]but yea, if you live within driving distance of the bge mecca, then it is even easier for you. ..

• Coleslaw
    Coleslaw Posts: 46
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    May be a bit late with this one, but I replaced one not to long ago as well. I took a large screwdriver and scraped the big stuff. I took a propane torch, and a putty knife and as the leftovers got gummy, the putty knife cleaned up really well.

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Mad Max - you got any ideas on what to do if the lid doesn't line up with base? Mine is off by maybe a quarter of an inch and I am guessing that I burn through gaskets regularly because of the lid is offset from the base.[p]CBFN (Char Buddy for Now)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy (for now),
    i'm not sure. .. mine lines up really nicely so it hasn't been an issue. . .maybe when you put on new gaskets, offset them a little so that the gaskets match up, then trip the part of the gasket that is overhanging into the egg??. .. or, just take a hammer and whack you bands into allignment. . .

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, personally a hammer should never be used near a BGE. A strong board like a 2 x4 is as persuasive a tool that I'd ever use and that isn't to whack with but istead to pry with.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RRP,
    i guess i forgot to put a little smiley thing after that statement. . .trust me, i was just kidding. .. . i got nervous just using my ash tool to scrape the rest of the old gasket off when it was hot and gooey. ..[p]hopefully the charbuddy (or whatever we are going to call him) recognizes my tongue in cheekyness and will keep his hammer to himself.. . .[p]LOL. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]come on, let's all join in - [p]If I had a hammer .....
  • Dave's Not Here
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Uh Oh, hadn't heard about the sticking before. And that's exactly what is going on with mine (17 months old). Guess I'd better mosey on down to the HQ and get one.
    Dave