Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Wing Help.

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a search and tons of information but still not clear what I want.

I will be cooking wings for 6 on the Large Egg and we all love the traditional fried chicken wing taste and never tried the grilled chicken wings, but feel sure we would all like that too.

How would you suggest cooking 50+ wings on the egg with out a raised grid.

I do have the cast iron grate, ceramic grate and plate setter.

Time, Temp and technique wold all be appreciated along with any good recipe. We do like them spicy and have Franks and Dizzy Pig seasoning.
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    I cook mine elevated, direct at about 400* with a small amount of lump. THey turn out very crispy.

From previous discussions, i would think you would go indirect at a pretty high temp if you want to get decent skin (450-500*) or so.

Hopefully you will get a better answer. :(
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi,

I responded to a post last week on the same topic, and there was a lot of good advice in that thread. I don't have time to track it down now, but if you can find it, take a look.

Here's a repost of what I said with a link to my blog with my hot Buffalo-style recipe. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/02/recipe-spicy-grilled-buffalo-wings-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

I rub them, cook them indirect at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, and then toss to coat with sauce. I usually add some apple wood for smoke flavor. They come out great. I've found that I can comfortably fit 18 whole wings (36 individual parts) on the grate of my LBGE without putting the wings on the part of the grate not protected by the plate setter. To do more than this, I'd either get some bolts and stack your two grates a couple of inches apart, or just stack the wings on top of each other and move them once or twice during the cook.

6a00e5502e1c01883401116846a521970c-800wi

Hope this helps.

-John