Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Cooking for Allergies

FatDog
FatDog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to cook for Christmas again this year and am always happy to oblige. The problem this year is that I have several people who are allergic to apparently everything good.

My limitiations are: no salt, no pepper, nothing from the nightshade family (peppers, tomatoes, etc), no gluten. I'm thinking about egging some Cornish game hens and want some suggestions. My best idea so far is to stuff each bird with a quarter orange and siide some butter and rosemary under the breast skin. A little apple and pecan wood ought to take care of the rest.

What do y'all think?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Sounds YUMMEE! :)
  • What time is dinner and what kind of wine should I bring?
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

•  
    WOW, that's a fun challenge Alan! When I was a cooking I would run into allergy restrictions but I don't think I ever had to dodge so many bullets at once. Some foods you can just omit the salt and pepper and have the shakers on the table so those people that are not so restricted may partake. Look for foods that normally call for other seasonings. Butternut squash can be baked and mashed, seasoned to taste with Cinnamon, nutmeg, a little brown sugar, unsalted butter and a splash or two of brandy or sherry and it is to die for. Thank goodness potato's and other veggies are not on the list. The gluten free diet is free of "wheat, barley, rye, and triticale, as well as the use of gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent." If you decided on something the would be nice with a gravy such as a roast of beef or a turkey you can always make the gravy with corn starch or arrow root for a thickener. No one would ever know the difference. For dessert you could have a Baked Indian Pudding w/ Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (omit the salt, you will never miss it).
    I'm sure you will get plenty of help here on the forum. With a little extra planning it wont be any harder then a regular Christmas dinner.

Good luck,

Gator

• WOW!!
    That’s a hand full and then some!
    Part of me would want to say "bring your own dish to pass" as it may be the only dish you can eat from! The other side of me looks to it as a chalange or adventure with all sort of road blocks!
    I like your “hen ide" or even roasted chicken…Maybe even a turkey with lots of fresh herbs and lemon! That should be really good and tasty, not t mention pretty traiditional.!
    I also would, perhaps, go with roasted veggies; tossed in oil with spices and herbs that everyone can have, roasted on a large pan or in a grill basket.
    I just did a grilled squash with a baste made of a reduced / spiced (brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and butter) orange juice that was really good. Yes, it calls for S&P…But I think that may be something that you could forego.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Buckwheat and rice are good carbo sources. Are you sure they're OK with dairy, gluten free often goes in hand with dairy (casein) free?
    If you're really purist beware of hidden gluten such as on raisins, in spices and so on.
    Good luck and remember not to give them anything to worry about otherwise they won't eat it in case.
  • With the gluten allergy you can not use anything that contains soy sauce!! The first ingredient on soy sauce is normally wheat! Hoss