Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Chicken pot pie recipes? :>(

Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They are easy enough to do/find the recipe for but surprised there's no mention of it in the archives.
Talking, done in the ol' dutch oven in the egg.
I'm surprised...really?, no one?
I think when I get our new camera going soon, so I can post to the forum it will be the first one I do.
Comfort food for all this cold weather, don't cha' know... B)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a great one.

Chicken, Pot Pie, Stike

BENTE,Here's the recipe. ...from the barefoot contessa.it's not horrifically unhealthy. less salt i'm sure than any storebought crap. and if you use an organic chicken, you know where it came from. i really do recommend using left over roast chicken from the egg (if you have enough left over that is. only thing i changed is she uses chicken breasts. B O R I N Gwe have a turkey farm up here that sells pot pies either white or a mix of dark meat together with the white (which is cheaper). i cannot possibly understand why someone would pay more for white meat alone.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
    **(we used about 4 pounds of leftover roasted organic chicken)**
    3 Tbs olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
    2 chicken bouillon cubes
    12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
    2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
    1 10 Ozs Pkg Frozen peas (2 cups)
    1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
    1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves **(we used some greens fro mthe fresh carrots out of the garden)
    For the pastry:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    1/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
    1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
    Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper

Procedure:
    1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2 Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.
    3 In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions and parsley. Mix well.
    For the pastry:
    1 Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the shortening and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until each piece is coated with flour. Pulse 10 times, or until the fat is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
    2 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. **(Egg set up indirect, at 400 or so)
    3 Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. **(we just did a big casserole) Divide the dough into quarters and roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, then place the dough on top. Trim the circle to 1/2-inch larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp the dough to fold over the side, pressing it to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: 2005, Ina Garten, Food Network

Source: BGE Forum, Stike, 2007/11/18

Show: Barefoot Contessa

Episode: Back for the Weekend
  • You know Richard, over in Asia, Malaysia at least, it's exactly opposite, the breasts are cheap and the thighs are the pricey part. Every place does some thing right and others wrong.

Doug
  • Richard Fl,

Thank you for by far the best looking recipe I've seen. Lin and I made a list of things to pick shopping for it, for tomorrow I hope.
    Since I didn't have my act together enough to do the pot pie I wanted tonight, instead we did our very first spatchcocked chicken.
    And similar to how your recipe mentions it, there is virtually nothing let of it!
    Less clean up then with the beer can method too.
    Definitely will try this out, and post photos.
    Thank you very much again!