Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Cookn Biker. Neck Roast Results

Options
CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Venison Neck Roast

Well I'm going Pansy on this cook and it's happening inside. Really wanted to egg this, but I'm fighting off a sinus infection that's had me in bed for the past two days and it's blowing 45 knots outside and sub-freezing before the windchill. 

Neck Roast gift from a friend, seasoned S&P, followed by Raising the Steaks. 

e7d51e1c.jpg

Seared on all sides in DO. 

8380ee43.jpg

In goes the braising liquid.  Beef broth, Cabernet Sauvignon, Lipton's onion and mushroom mix and 4 cloves of Garlic. 

d9ac9678.jpg

Lid's on. Heat at medium-low and braising.  Gonna flip meat at half hour, go another 30 minutes stovetop, then into 350° oven for an hour.  Then, add carrots, red skin potatoes and sweet onions.  Wish me luck!

2142333c.jpg

Thanks for the input, Molly, and thanks to Thirdeye for the recommendation on the neck roast.  Even through my sinus infection dulled senses, it was very flavorful. 

Here it is, plated.  Total braising time was about 5.5 hours. 

e6a310e6.jpg

Joe

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks tasty and tender!! Nice job!
    Feel better.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thank you, Molly. I think I'm on the upswing.

My son was still awake when I finished, so I enlisted him as a taste tester. I've got him trained pretty well, but he doesn't like much spice. He went back for a second helping, so It had to be passable.

Joe