Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible Heresy

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having embraced (kicking and screaming) a low fat eating scheme, I find myself staring at my egg more than cooking on it. I am working on some developing some tasty, low-fat, low-sodium recipes for the egg and would appreciate any input from y'all. Looks like more chicken, turkey, and fish for me ... now, what to do with those butts I have in my freezer.[p]Doc

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    done.jpg
    <p />FatDog,[p]Here's a salmon recipe I posted last summer. Got lots of good feedback. [p]Good Luck![p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Ginger Salmon on a bed of scallions[/ul]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    FatDog,[p]The Egg is a low fat machine! Take chicken breast -- ordinarily, a dry and dull piece of rubber. But here is what you do -- first, leave the skin and bones on. Marinate it -- maybe even poke some marinade under the skin. Soy sauce and garlic work just fine, with no fat.[p]Now, smoke it at 200 or so for an hour. Then bring the temp up to 300. Do about 20 min/side [less if you like it less well done].[p]Take it off, take the skin off, and there you are. Eat it as is, or chop it up for a salad. Smoky and moist. You want it moister? Inject it with brine. [Kind of a lot of trouble, but maybe worth it.][p]Now let's talk beef. The fat drips off, and you can use tough lean cuts because the slow cooking breaks down the fibers. You'll have to experiment some, but that's the best part.[p]How about salmon filet? Shake on some season salt, and do it for 250 for a half hour. Doesn't seem like enough time, but it is.[p]Smoked trout? Season salt, and smoke 'em for an hour at 250.[p]It's true that the pork butt is probably not on the menu anymore, but there are a lot of other options![p]I have lost 30 pounds in the two years since I got my Egg, and I Egg three or four times a week. [Just go easy on the bread and pasta -- don't cut it out, like those Atkins folks do, but just go easy.] Plus my cholesterol has dropped from 207 to 185. I really think the Egg has been a big help.[p]Hang in there!!

• Yo FatDog, If you are looking for low sodium recipes for turkey and chicken, keep this in mind. The majority of poultry on the market has been either tumbled or injected in a solution that contains sodium as one of the ingredients in that solution! Check the label on the product and if it states, "Enhanced with up to 12% solution" or something to that effect, you can bet there is more sodium in that bird than one that does not contain the solution. [p]There are poultry products available on the market that have been minimally processed, but they are harder to find.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy