Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Grate

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ready to order Digi Q and noticed the Turbo Grate.
What are your thoughts on it? Any better than what comes with the egg? Do you get $45 worth of value?

Also, would you order the longer probes?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Mickey,
    Save your money, it's a POS. I talked to one of their employees at a recent eggfest and he told me in a round about was it was not one of their better ideas. I could never get mine to work right.
    Jim
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    I've got another cracked CI grate. Thought about getting one of the Turbo grates as a replacement, but decided it was too $$$ to gamble on. Instead, I made a grate out of expanded metal. A few folks on the forum have done this, too (Semolina Pichard, fishlessman). Cut out a 12" circle of the metal and proceded to hammer it into shape. Made it sort of bowl-like, but after putting in place I realized I should have made the sides slope more to follow the shape of the firebox. More like a pie pan. Used it the other night and it worked fine. Fire got started maybe a little faster than the regular grate (don't know for sure or if I just wanted to think it did). Next time I clean the Egg out, I may reshape it a bit to fit the contour of the firebox.
  • Unlike others, I have it in my large and love it. I don't have to worry about just dumping in the lump from the bag. The Turbo keeps the small pieces from clogging up the air flow.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    If you have the money its worth it. Works better then the one that comes with the egg. I've had mine since day one and will buy another when I get my next egg.
  • I was wondering if when the expanded metal charcoal grate would get hot and expanded if it would crack the firebox. It did'nt. Also, it did not take long for heat and gravity to make it into a bowl. The key is making it big enough so when it curls up it doesn't fall through the hole. I cut it 2 inches bigger than the BGE original. I wondered if the heat would eat it up, but it looks as beefy as the day I put it in. Someone else, Fishlessman if memory serves, said the heat ate a hole in his. I don't know if I lucked out and have one made from an alloy that is great for this use or what. Airflow is so much better and I have had zero need for a wiggle rod since making the switch. It has to be at least a year and a half now.
  • The Turbo grate is well worth the money, in 2 1/2 years mine has worked remarkably well and have never had a fire go out on a low and slow cook and go to 700* very fast

Ross
  • I have had the Turbo Grate for awhile and really like it. I have never had any air issues and have gone from low and slow to T-Rexing steaks. I feel it is worth the money.
  • always wondered about something like this....
    heavy duty colander or perforated steel bowl.

i'm sure it would slide around during cleaning, but someday i'll give it a try.

my large breathes fine. i'm thinking of trying this in the small to increase airflow.

upside_down_fire_basket.jpg
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    For me, well worth the money. As a new egger I had lots of trouble getting fires started and hot. Bought the turbo grate and now I fiddle much less. Not exactly effort free (the opening still get clogged and a wiggle stick is still useful) but much better than the standard grate. I think a sturdy expanded metal grate would be as good, maybe better. If I could find the correct sizes, a pair of circular grilling grates set at an angle to each other would be ideal.
  •  
    Hi Mickey,

I also have had one since day one and like it. I have never tried the original grate so I can't compare.

Gator