Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lumbar stenosis

Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Off Topic
just been told I have this condition as well as a bulging disc. Anyone have a similar condition and what did you do about it?
thanks
gp

Comments

• Had a condition called cervical spinal stenosis. The closing of the space in the vertabrae that the spinal cord goes through. Doc said normal space is 15mm, I had only 5mm. Had surgery to scrape out the opening and installed a titanium plate to maintain the space between each cervical disk. Orthrascopic (sp) procedure, was in constant pain and could not sleep more that 1 or 2 hrs at night.The risk of not taking care of the problem could have been paralysis. Pain is gone, but can't rotate my neck normally...but it was worth getting the procedure done. :) Hope you get well too!

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • This is about the same thing but lower back. I have numbness in my foot on the right side as a result. Pain is not all that great but every once in awhile I do get a zinger. Thanks for your input.
    gp
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    gp, stenosis & bulging discs are fairly common & usually degenerative conditions we all get with age, they can also be caused by trauma. The conditions can be symptomatic or asymptomatic as well, although in your case you are certainly feeling it. Depending on the nature of the conditions, they can also cause nerve damage which can show itself in extremity symptoms such as you have described, numbness, tingling, pain, electic shock like feelings... these are all caused by pressure exerted on the nerves at the sight of the stenosis or bulge. As long as you can tolerate the symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the symptoms get worse, you will want to monitor it. Bulges can turn into herniations which can cause much more severe nerve damage, but your doc can monitor that through periodic MRI's & EMG's & so forth. There are a lot of exercises you can do at home to lessen the effects of these conditions, you should speak with your doc about them. My favorite home remedy, beer :) Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GP,

Exercise, anti-inflammatories and steroids can often help a bulging disk. Spinal stenosis is usually caused by bony narrowing of the spinal canal. If it reaches a critical narrowing, putting pressure on spinal nerves in that area, your symptoms will likely worsen. There is no definitive treatment (of which I am aware) for lumbar spinal stenosis other that surgery to remove the bony narrowing and open up the spinal canal. While there, the bulging disk could also be removed.
    IMHO, a neurosurgeon is the best for this surgery, but make sure you select one with a lot of experience with this.

Good luck !
  • After years of suffering and four epidurals to temporarily relieve the pain I was diagnosed with stenosis at L3, L4 and L5. It was most likely genetic. I could continue taking the epidurals (which have risks) or be scheduled for a lumbar laminectomy. I opted for the surgery. It worked and six weeks later I was informed I could resume my normal life with 'no restrictions.'

That was last year and until today I have had no back pain at all. For some reason my back starting hurting today and after researching the possible causes I concluded I may have a kidney infection. I'm scheduled to see my doctor in a couple of days and will ask him about it.

By the way, a friend died earlier this week from taking Tylenol. He had only been taking it about a year for pain. It ruined his liver beyond repair. After my heart attack Tylenol was my only relief from occasional pain and headaches. Now I have none. It's going to be a long 'rest of my life.'

Spring "Aches And Pains Go Away, Come Again Some Other Day" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I had a very similar condition as Buckdodger. Surgery was the only option. I had C-3 through C-7 fused and the Titanium plate and cadaver bone. I was loosing blood flow to my hands, constant pain, couldn't get comfortable at night and the list goes on. I had the surgery when I started having paralysis in my hands and before any permanent nerve damage. It is better now but a significant loss in the ability to work overhead for any length of time and range of motion is greatly reduced. It is better now but I guess I will never be 20 years old again. My dad has the curse of the lower back problems. He has had so many lower back surgery's the surgeon installed a zipper. :pinch:
  • Thanks to all of you that have posted comments. Yeah getting old can be a real adventure but just think the alternative ain't that great.
    Happy egging.
    gp
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Zippylip is not a doctor, nor am I, but he gave a very good description of what happens when the back goes awry. I had lumbar spinal stenosis; in plain English, the bones in my lower back(at L-3 L-4, and L-4 L-5 levels) were degenerating and impinging the nerve. The pain was horrible, and got worse day by day. I tried all the conservative therapies: Yoga, chiropractic treatments, physical therapy, epidural injections. Nothing except the first of three epidurals helped, and that only lasted for one day. I was becoming unable to work or move; couldn't get in bed, couldn't put my socks on. Finally I contacted a neurosurgeon, sent him my MRI interpretations and the report on my discograph. He did a laminectomy at the levels mentioned above; the day after surgery the hospital staff had me out of bed, walking pain free, and doing some stairs. Now, three months later, I feel like I have regained about 99% of my mobility. I am continuing with physical therapy to resore strength to my back, and am back to work. Every day is now a great day for me. I hope you have as much success as I've had. Not all outcomes are as positive as mine was. Keep us posted.

Uglydog
  • Yours sounds exactly like mine with similar results. It's great to be back-pain free with no restrictions.

Now how to deal with arthritis pain...

Spring "Good Medicine Works - Bad Medicine Doesn't Work" Chicken
  • Thanks to all of you that responded. The information you provided and the encouragement was very helpful
    I will definitely keep my egg friends in the loop as we move forward on this.
    thanks
    gp
  • Hey Leroy, I just finished up a round of injections and Physical therapy. I am for the most part pain free without the use of narcotics for the first time in a while.