Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Cooking

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend purchased cedar planks from the BGE store. Any tips in addition to the recipes on the wrapper would be greatly appreciated. By the way what kind of cedar is this, The package says "100% Organic". I was wondering if you could go to your local lumber yard and purchase cedar planks.
Mark

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You just have to make sure the planks from the lumber yard are untreated, Mark. I know some folks have said they bought planks from Home Depot.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Correct. That is the catch. Verify untreated. If unable to cerify, pass & find another source, perhaps a samller in size lumber yard/woodworking studio. Alder works nice too if you can track down.
    I soak my planks for an hour or two, cook direct on grill at about 350 or so. Plank will smolder & even char up a bit. All is good. Cook until desired doneness, depending on the size of your fillet and your temperature, about 20-30 minutes. Remember it will cook a bit more when removed. Brush/season with favorite sauces/seasonings.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,
    Also noticed on the directions, it said discard after use, can these planks be cleaned and reused?
    Mark

• Mark,
    No. They will be sufficiently charred. They can be broken up & added to lump though to infuse taste. Works good when grilling other fish, for say, halibut/tuna/swordfish sandwiches, for example. They are a one shot deal.