Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot chocolate recipe, anybody

tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's kinda that time of year, so anybody have a good and/or low calorie/sugar hot chocolate recipe.

thanks, t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You got snow Tom? -RP
  • go to store, go to coffee aisle,
    find box of swiss miss sugar free,
    go to cashier and pay for it
    go home
    open box
    take out packet
    take mug from shelf and fill with water
    stick mug in microwave and turn on till water is hot
    tear open packet and pour into mug of hot water
    stir
    drink

:whistle:
  • Tom,

I like Max's recipe, but throw in a shot of 100 proof Rumple Minze. Your breath will be pleasantly minty.

Joe
  • tjv
    No snow for us, just cold. First frost this week. We had about an inch of snow couple mornings ago, but it did not last long before melting.

Snow would be nice, hide all the leaves in my yard, so I do not have to pick them up this weekend. Down side to having 40+ black and post oaks in the yard.
  • tjv
    what no marshmellows......geeezzzzz

t
  • The best I've found is by Katrina Markoff in Chicago. She has shops in NY as well . Her shop is called Vosage Haut Chocolate. http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/ She carries some yummy bacon/chocolate products as well. The hot chocolate is sooooooooooo good.
  • I use the one on the side of the Hersheys powdered cocoa box (not the microwave one!).

Works great.

I'm sure you could embellish with alcohol of your choice... Rum, Bailey's Irish Cream, Brandy... perhaps Grande Marnier and go for the "Tootsie Roll" effect.

Perhaps also substitute some part of milk with cream.
  • swiss miss makes the packets with the little marshmallows too!! :cheer:
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Take you favorite milk chcolate bar and break it into chunks into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave until it melts. Add heavy cream and stir until it is the consistency you want. Hit it with a 1/4 tsp of vanilla and drink it hot.
  • Rebecca, that does look good! Do you add water or milk to their mix? I'm allergic to milk. So that's my problem with finding a good hot cocoa!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    ever see what happens when you microwave hot chocolate with the marshmellows in it :laugh: :whistle: some things ive learned in life. no marshmellows in the microwave, dont use red wine in turkey gravey unless you want to have purple gravey, slice the bottom of chestnuts BEFORE roasting. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    I like the recipe on the side of the Hershey's cocoa box

(EDIT: Didn't see WPB's post)

1/2 c sugar or equiv Splenda
    1/4 c cocoa powder
    dash salt
    1/3 c hot water
    4 c milk (full, skim, half&half, whatever works)
    3/4 t vanilla extract

mix dry ingredients in pan-
    mix in water and stir @ medium -
    boil and stir 2 minutes
    stir in milk and heat- do not boil
    add vanilla

( I also add a pinch of cayenne)

Very popular at tailgates with or without Bailey's

Big T
  • Don't forget the peppermint snapps or baileys. :)

Mike
  • tjv
    what, can't mix it with a cold beer.....LOL. T
  • tjv
    little pepper heat sounds interesting, thanks, t
  • tjv
    thanks, best make that two of my favorite chocolate bars, one to melt and one the eat while waiting on the other to melt......LOL

T
  • tjv
    I need to check the container as that's two votes. thanks, t
  • tjv
    I'm gonna have to look up rumple minze, new one on me. thanks t
  • tjv
    nothin' better than on the job training....I keep telling myself that each time I pick up a hot piece of just welded stainless.....gloveless......dang it.....
  • tjv
    may need to do some online shopping for xmas. appreciate the tip. t
  • Gwen, you may use either milk or water. I've also made it with Bailey's Irish Cream. It is decandently rich and they recommend a 4 oz. serving, but that has never stopped me from exceeding the recommnedations. :evil: They have different flavors including one with Ancho and chipotle chili (South American / Mexican) which is to die for. On their La Parisienne box they state you can add a particular cheese. I'm at work and unable to check the box regarding what cheese in particular. I thought that sounded intruiging, but haven't tried it yet. I'll stick to marshmellows.
  • This is not by any means low calorie, but one of the easiest, richest and best flavored ones that I have had is as listed below.

Ingreients: one can evaporated milk, 2 hershey's bars(Freeze and crack for ease of use)
    Option 1: 1/2 stick butter can be added for ultra rich flavor
    Option 2: 1/2 tsp. vanilla, mint or other flavoring of your choice

Directions: Pour can of evaporated milk into pan and heat until near boil stirring occasionally. Add crumbled hershey bars to milk and still until chocolate is melted. Enjoy yourself or share with up to 4 others. Also good chilled.
  • Warning! NOT lo-cal/low sugar!

I ran into this description in a write-up of British WWII North Sea patrols, in some Bantam paperback.

Start with sweetened condensed milk - quantity based on servings desired.

Apply heat.
    Add in unsweetened Dutch Process cocoa powder - until no more will dissolve.
    Add several squares of semi-sweet chocolate.
    Thin to drinking consistency with rum.

Warning - this stuff tends to solidify at room temperature (I've done it ONCE and the buzz lasted several days - according to the book, this was served in pre-heated mugs to the deck crew using steam hoses to melt the ice off destroyer foredecks).
    And I'm still trying to find the book again (it's somewhere in my collection).

Tom