Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna try JSlots Pork Ribs tomorrow

Squeeze
Squeeze Posts: 717
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I am finally going to attempt my first ribs. I am using JSlots technique out of the Eggtoberfest cookbook. THey are all rubbed up and in the fridge as we speak. Any suggestions...
Kevin Jacques
The University of Que L.L.C. ®
Killen, AL
www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!

Comments

• Squeeze,
    make sure that you cook them at 200-250 for at least 3 hours. I get the fire going until dome temp = 300 then throw on 3-4 chunks of wood -- I like hickory for pork -- Shut the top vent off and bottom just barely open to bring the temp down to 200-225 -- cook for an hour on each side then wrap in foil an cook for at least another hour -- the foil keeps them from drying out -- tasty flavor and falling off the bones. enjoy

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Squeeze,
    They are great! Just make sure you follow the directions.
    Hammer

• Squeeze
    Hammer,
    This is using the higher heat method right? Not the low, then foil method...

Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Well I read JSlots recipe and he calls for higher heat -- 375 -- As I live in Alabama and would be banned from cooking again if I cooked ribs that hot, I will never know if this method works. Please post the results.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    mktimber,
    LOL, while I haven't read the JSLOT method I'd like to see it. OTOH since I've been cooking the Tyson 12% injected baby backs - in fact I have a rack rubbed for tomorrow - I have had far better success using bricks on edge plus indirect at 310 to 320. Seems like the higher temp gets that injected solution moving and cooked out of the meat. I used to complain about the injected ones, but was back to Wally World today for 5 more racks of Tysons to have in reserve.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Squeeze
    mktimber,
    I too am in ALabama...by way of Michigan, so I should not lose my Southern Card for cooking at a higher temp should I?

Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Make sure that is the updated version, Kevin. I had modified the temps somewhat and I don't think they made it into Bill's cookbook. Temps should be 325° or so instead of 350-375°. Let me know if you have any other questions![p]Jim
  • grEGG
    grEGG Posts: 19
    JSlot,[p]I used the recipe in the BGE "Cookbook for Eggheads" special Eggtoberfest Edition. I did use 375 as the target temp. I cooked 2 slabs, one with Butt Rub and the other Dizzy Dust and one venison backstrap. I followed the instructions exactly. My wife said that the ribs were the most flavorful she has ever had. I guess the Egg is very forgiving. Thanks for the recipe! I'll try 325 next time.
  • Squeeze
    JSlot,
    THanks. You think inverting a platesetter would work instead of the two grate setup? Tammy just ogt in from Atlanta and she stopped by Eggquarters and got me a large table for Valentines day. That was pretty awesome.

Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    JSlot, where can I find your recipe?

• Squeeze,
    I would be careful. If the wrong people find that you are cooking ribs above 300 things could get ugly. You might be able to appease them with a rib or two when they are done.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Squeeze,
    I used the 375 temp. J Slot now apparently recommends the lower temps, based on his reply. He's never lead me wrong with his recipes; so next time I'll use the lower temps.
    They sure were good though!
    Hammer

• JSlot
    I use the inverted plate setter, Kevin.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    The recipe is in Bill Wise's cookbook. I'll try and post the link. If my copying doesn't work, it's on The Whiz's website.[p]Jim
    [ul][li]Wise One's Cookbook[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Ribs are on, chugging away at 325. Put a little apple wood in for some smoke. It is cold and rainy so these ribs should hit the spot. Going to do twice baked potato's with them and have some turtle cheesecake for dessert. Will post some pics later. Thanks for the help Jim! [p]-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com