Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for wood workers before I wreck my planer

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Someone who is dearly beloved in our home used a metal meat mallet to pound something on my favorite bamboo cutting board. It now has serious dents that will not swell out no matter what I have done. I fear those indentations may eventually harbor yuck regardless of cleaning efforts. Can I just re-surface it using my surface planner or do I run the risk of damaging the blades?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• I would think that you could use a planner on bamboo - unfortunately, I don't have a planner so I don't know for sure -
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If the board is an end grain style, don't think so. Those blades would be pounding like mad. Although, Bamboo probably isn't end grain, and would be fine in a planer.
  • In my opinion your planer will suffer no harm with a bamboo cutting board, it's likely around as hard as oak (depends somewhat on treatment) and I have planed a lot of that with no trouble.

Doug
  • I think you are good to go. I wouldn't think it would be much worse that maple. Depending on your model, I suspect you can remove and flip your knives. I have flipped my knives a few times because of nicks from recycled wood and have had them sharpened a few times as well. The cost for getting them sharpened is about 1/3 the cost of new knives.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks guys! I ran it through my Ryobi surface planner making tiny cuts with the first couple passes and had no trouble. Ended up taking 1/8" off the damaged side and looks good as new. Interesting part is the saw dust from bamboo is like very straight fine straws or wooden toothpicks about 2" long!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.