Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ tool set

Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am interested to see which BBQ tool set everyone recommends? I made a mistake a few years ago and bought a relatively cheap set and jhave regretted ever since.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We do not use a "set" I find that most are kind of awkward and clumsy. I am a metal tong freak, they have to be light weight and i have all lenths lol and open and close easy not give me a crap to hang onto somthing those and light weight metal bendable spatulas. that and my thermopen is all i really need. add the third hand and wiggle rod completes me :)
    http://thirdeyebbq.com/default.aspx
    the third hand is the best thing ever!
  • I have 2 sets of tongs from Publix and a spatula that came from somewhere. Oh yeah and a pig flipper. So I guess I am bbq tool challenged.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use from the LawnRanger:
    Grid Lifter
    Lump Steering Rod
    Wiggle Rod
    Lots and Lots of tongs
    Turkey/Ham Lifters from William Sonomia (?)
    Bear Claws - Amazon

That works for me....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• What is a lump steering rod? Can you post some photos or links?
  • Mickey
    Mike (Lawnranger) pulled down is site for now so no pic. It is a rod with a handle on one end and a loop on the other app 20 inches long to move around the lump from the top w/o removing the grid/grill. You use the wiggle rod from the bottom and this from the top.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• It is a lump stiring rod. Generally and stiff rod bent with a 90° Ell on one end approx 4" long. It is used to poke up through the bottom of the charcoal grate and allow air to get to the unburnt charcoal, on long cooks. Mine is homemade, but Wayne sells some on his site.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
  • Mickey
    I think that is called a wiggle rod to use from the bottom up.

• Thanks for awhile there the name slipped my mind.
  • Mickey
    Are you 104 like me? :ohmy:

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I found some 16 inch webber tongs at the Indy fest last Aug.2009. I like them very much! ;) Tim
  •  
    I have a set of Weber stainless that work very well. They are all about 16" long and well made.
    GrillTools.jpg
    The big spatula is made for turning fish yet is sturdy enough to lift 8-9# Boston Butts in and out with no problems. The 16" length keeps my hands back where they belong. :cheer:

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    Gator, I have those same tongs! I live em. Tim B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Most "grilling" tools are pretty useless, IMO. Forge tthe "set". The big forks things never get used. You need a nice wide spatulat for burgers and fish, and a pair of tongs. Dont get a huge wooden tongs with rubber grip,etc. To quote Bobby Flay: "Be intimiate with your grill". Use a smaller set of locking tongs that aren't grilling specific. They give you better control.
  •  
    Hey Tim,

I have to agree, the tongs are indispensable for chicken, steaks and anything else they apply to. The slotted spatula is a must have also for burgers and such. Those two items will do over 95% of the work.

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    I have a different long handle spat along with the tongs and that is pretty much my grilling tools other than a pair of welders gloves to pull the baked potatoes.

Now I do use my third hand often and my wiggle rod and my potato ring but, I think we are talking about food handling tools. Tim
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Well stated, that's all I use outside. A nice spoon if doing chili or stew, but that's not grilling.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No set for me. I have an old Weber 4" spatula which I virtually NEVER use, a pizza peel which I use all too often and tongs. The tongs (also Weber) are the workhorse. One side is squared off on the end and is mostly flat like a slightly dished spatula so it does double duty. It's a single piece of spring steel that stays in the open position until I squeeze it. About 15" long. The Weber stuff is so old, it was not made in China!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut