Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
QBabe indicated she uses a 14" deep dish pizza pan for a drip pan. Is there any type of metal I should not purchase? Is any one better than another (stainless, aluminum, SilverStone, etc.)? I plan on wrapping it with aluminum foil for easier clean up.

BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]"Better" depends on the use you're going to put it to. If all you're doing is collecting drips for later disposal, cheaper is better. [p]If you're going to wrap the pan with foil, you're effectively making a foil pan. Might have a stainless "core", or aluminum, or whatever but the surface is aluminum. If you're worried about toxic fumes, etc. from one metal compared to others, the only metal I'd avoid is galvanized (zinc plated).[p]If I hadn't had a deep dish pizza pan that I never use, I'd use the *disposable* aluminum roasting pans from the supermarket. Use it till it gives out, trash it and put in a new one.[p]Ken
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]We didn't get ours online, but I found one that's similar to ours. We really like it. I don't know what metal it's made of, but during my search online, found that most of them seem to be aluminum. I do sometimes use the disposable aluminum ones, but I guess a part of me rebels against the disposable world we've become. I do line it with aluminum foil when I'm using it as a drip pan, but I also use it to roast nuts in and plan to attempt a deep dish pizza at some point. So for me it gives me one pan that has multiple uses...and, I find that it covers more area in the cooker than the rectangular drip pans (disposable or not).[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Deep Dish Pan[/ul]
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Good advice, Ken. The aluminum pans are really cheap at discount dollar stores. I buy mine at Sam's and the cost figures at .23 cents each and I get two or three uses out of each one. Can't beat the price on that.

[ul][li]Meat & Poultry Questions?[/ul]
  • Coleslaw
    Options
    BeerMike,
    What about using a cheap stoneware dish? I guess my theory would be that the stoneware would help dispers(?) the heat some.[p]Just a thought

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    So, you reuse the foil you line the pan with? Or do you DISPOSE of it? LOL. Not a great big difference between throwing away 3 cooking sessions' worth of foil and one of the foil pans.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Hey Jim,[p]I toss the foil lining after each use. The main reason I like the round pans is because the cover more surface area under the meat than the rectangular pans, and thus reduce some of the hot spots.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Oh, I thought it was an ecological decision. LOL! I know what you mean about the round pans. I bought a 16" round cake pan at the local restaurant supply store. I use it every now and then and it does a very nice job.[p]On sort of the same note, I'm having a buddy at work make a heat baffle to go around the outer edge of the Egg. It's going to basically be a round piece of thin stainless 17¾" in diameter with a 10" or so hole in the middle. I'm gonna place this between the fire ring and the fire box and see how it works. I'll post the results.[p]Jim
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Good advice; however I am so anal that I throw all used drip pans in the trash after each cook. I realize that I am throwing a re-usasble thing away, but I can't bring myself to use it again. The way I figure it, is that if I can spend the money to buy a semi expensive cooker, then I can toss a 23 cent drip pan.
    Just my thoughts!
    Hammer

• BeerMike, I use a 16 inch steel gold-panning pan under my 18 inch grill-grate. It cost about $8 and has been in service about 5 years.

[ul][li]Drip Pan[/ul]
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    Hammer, just chalk mine up to laziness ;)

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    I know the feeling. Laziness is one of the reasons I don't soak chips or chunks sometimes; time is the other.
    Great hearing from you!
    Hammer

• Hey, Mike:[p]I use the foil one you get at Sam's, and they are cheap and fill up the landfills pretty good too. [p]However, If I want to save the drippings from perhaps a small turkey breast or pork loin, I actually make a sort of "double boiler" drip pan. I put a smaller rectangular cake pan inside a larger pan, which is filled with water. In that way, the drippings don't burn and are available for gravy or can be used for a reduction.[p]MM