Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a recipe for picante sauce?

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And, if you know, how does it differ from salsa...?[p]Thanks,
Tonia
:~)

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    QBabe,[p]The link may help. Good luck,[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Picante Sauce[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    QBabe,
    both are the same, Salsa is sauce in mexican terms, picante is hot in mexican terms. Just different terminology used in different areas of the U.S.

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]I always thought they were they same too.. but doesn't picante have a bit more texture?
    Did shrimp and oysters on the EGG tonight..my treat to myself!
    ;-)

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Most commonly here in Colorado, salsa is shorthand for "salsa cruda", that is, uncooked sauce of tomato, onion, garlic, peppers, etc. Salsa picante is a bottled sauce more on the lines of Tabasco, Franks, etc., with no chunky "stuff".[p]Ken
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hey Tonia,
    I use this recipe and it's fantastic, IMHO.[p]2 Tbs finely diced white onion
    8 Roma tomatoes, about a pound, diced
    2 serrano or jalapeno chilies
    2 Tbs of finely chopped fresh Cilantro, I use more
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbs fresh lime juice[p]Place onion in a strainer, rinse with hot water and drain. Combine all the stuff. If tomatoes taste acidic, add a little more sugar. This is best if it sits in fridge, much better the next day.[p]Our absolute favorite is this one...[p]Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa
    1 lb tomatillos, about 15, husked, rinsed and roughly chopped
    1 avocado, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
    1 serrano or jalapeno, with seeds
    1 cup fresh cilantro
    2 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1 tsp salt
    put all in food processor and puree. Again, better is it sits in fridge for a while.
    This is also great on chicken![p]Hope you like them. If you try them, let me know what you think.
    Billy

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Wardster,
    Your first one is awfully close to the one that I use, but I use more onion, and don't rinse it. Sometimes I'll add a chopped up tomatillo or 2. Depending on who else is eating it, I might double the cilantro, or leave it out completely.
    I'm going to have to try the second. I'd probably put it more in the guacamolé category (whether that's where it belongs or not!)[p]Tonia,
    I usually use the terms interchangeably, but I think of salsa as using all fresh ingredients, and picante some have been cooked slightly (or more than slightly)[p]BOB

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    QBabe,
    Salsa is cooked, picante is not.
    Chuck

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    BBQBeth,
    store bought picante has more tomato juice, its the cheapest ingredient in the jar.........LOL

• QBabe
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Thanks, lots of choices there...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks...makes sense, since the picantes I've seen are much smoother than the salsas...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Hi Billy,[p]I've done one very similar to the top one, but no lime juice (and now that I've seen it in yours, I don't know how could I have gone without it..!), but the bottom one is new to me and looks fantastic. I'll have to give it a try...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]Thanks...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]I'm up on my spanish, so I knew the terms also...just curious...thanks!
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Howdy! i guess i was thinking that the Spanish word for sauce is 'salsa'. that could be anything from spaghetti sauce to worcestershire sauce. throw in some tantalizing tidbits and you have picante ;-)
    guess that's what i get for thinking. beat ya to it! LOL[p]Quing in flooding conditions here today........