Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid sticking??

Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't been using my large BGE much lately but when I have I have had difficulty with the food sticking to the grid. This has happened with steaks, hamburgers, etc.

I have the standard grid that came with my large BGE and don't really want a new grid.

I always wire brush the grid after cooking and again before the next cooking so it is not stored or cooked in a dirty condition.

Is there some viable way to keep my current grid from sticking?

Thanks!

Comments

• PAM on grid or a bit of oil or butter on the outside of the meat,,
  • I would junk the wire brush, unless it's a brassie. Your grid is porcelain, use a porcelain bbq rack clener, or just let the egg clean it for you. It'a a man thing.LOL :):)
  • Dip a folded up paper towel in cooking oil, grab it with tongs and "paint" on the hot grill before you put your meat on to cook. That should stop any sticking.
  • A very good point that is often overlooked.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Pete...Are you letting the grid get good and hot before adding the food? We always put the grid in while we are burning off the lump, so there is an immediate sizzle when we add the meat. Never had anything stick. The oil or pam is an option if you must, but we haven't had the need. Wish you the best! ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You clean the grid :woohoo:
    I am not having any sticking problems and burn in the grid after cooking and before. The only cleaning is if stuff is piled on top of grid.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I always put the grid on while the egg is coming up to temp and I haven't oiled it prior to adding the food. The only thing that sticks is marinated chicken thighs. Have only cooked them twice and both times (skin side down to start), I had to scrape them off the grid. Everything else has been fine.

Maybe Goya marinade contains glue?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• if it sticks, 90% of the time it's simply because you are trying to flip it too soon
  • what she said (i shoulda read it first)

hot grid, let it get some good grid lines, and it won't stick

(haven't decided whether my incredibly grungy grid helps or hurts with regard to the non-stick performance!) :ermm:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    that explains your frequent trip to the ER! :laugh:
  • Carey,

I'm pretty sure those are caused by the duckinasock.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Leaving the particulate on the grid after cooking can be adventageous. Leave it on, burn it off with the next fire, then brush it off.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    AMEN!!! In TOTAL agreement!! B)
  • Thanks for all the interesting advice.

Yes, I do use a brass brush to clean the grid.

And, yes, I always have the grid in during the warm up phase; thus, it is always to temperature.

And, yes, I am surprised to hear that my grid might be porcelain, especially since it sometimes tends to rust!?!

And, yes, I only turn the food items when they are sufficiently cooked on the first side.

I'll give thought to not cleaning after the cooks, but I sometimes have to do some brushing before cooks as there sometimes is a bit of rust which I don't want to cook on.

I'm glad to hear about the PAM and cooking oil being a viable solution (if needed?).

Thanks again!
  • sometimes fish sticks (haha i made a funny, "fishsticks"). ahem.

sometimes it seems fish will stick no mater what i do. i will scrupulously clean the grid, maybe even oil it, and that will take care of it.

but if steak is sticking, it is either not ready to flip (the grid lines are actually char, and nothing but crbon, and shouldn't stick), or maybe your grid is so rusty that it is pitted.

when you clean the grid, it should be smooth metal. if after cleaning it, it is rough and pitted from being rusted, you aren't doing yourself any favors. the pitting gives plenty of places for the food to grab and stick. get thee a stainless grid from tom.

even after high heat and fabricating, the stainless grid i got from him doesn't rust...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    how hot are you cooking your steaks, at high temps they only stick for a couple seconds, lower temps they stick longer but still release when they are ready to flip. with burgers i wait longer and just flip the one time. once that porcelin grid starts to peel and rust get a stainless one, a little pricey but worth every penny, i like it better for searing than even the cast iron one. you can get bacon to stick to a castiron pan if you dont start the heat high enough, i watch my dad do that all summer long at camp :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It is my opinion (which is questionalbe at times) that cleaning your grid after the cook has led to the rusting. The food grease acts as a protectant. I'm still using the original porcelain grid that came with my Large two years ago and there is no rust in sight.
    The food/grease chars up from the fresh fire and brushes of with ease.
    And nothing should stick ever. Maybe I am in the monority but I hit mine with a spray of "Pam" before any food touches it.
  • recognizing the fact that i rarely brush the thing, except if it is smoking and gunky, i've heard it said that leaving the goo on there can cause the rust.

if the porcelain is unbroken, you're fine, but we go so high with some temps that it can crack. so i guess the theory is that the goo sits there, and can absorb moisture from the environment in between cooks. it's dry after a cook, so it naturally absorbs some water from the air sitting there.

if you use it infrequently, it can then rust. my small egg has a rusty grid.

i never really clean them. guess i should after the grid has heated and as i'm shutting down. but i'm generally standing there with a plate of hot food i want to get into the kitchen, and i'm lucky enough to shut down the egg properly, let alone clean the grid :blush:
  • stripsteak wrote:
    get thee a stainless grid from tom.

S etal, It seems that the consensus here favor the stainless grid.

Where can I get a stainless that will fit a large BGE?

Thanks!
  • Peter Creasey wrote:
    Where can I get a stainless grid that will fit a large BGE? Thanks!

Any suggestions??